Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- Should US hope for 2nd?

Erwin S.

If I'm right about the World Cup:

US takes first in their group they play Italy.

US takes 2nd they play Mexico.

I know 1st would mean an eatra days rest and I know MExico and Italy just played to a draw but for some reason I would still rather play Mexico than Italy. An I crazy?

Of course, I still will be rooting for a win over Poland not a tie - but can anyone help me out with the wanting to play Mexico over Italy. Do I think too highly of the Italians or should I have more respect for MExico?

Always play for the win!!!!!

I'd rather play ITaly anyway for a bunch of reasons.

1- A loss to Italy is nothing to be ashamed of, a win would be ambrosia. A loss to Mexico would sting and would bring up the morons talking about how we couldnt beat a weak squad blah blah blah.

2- an extra days rest. We have a better chance of beating Italy on 3 days rest than Mexico on 2. Italy wont run like El TriColores.

3- A chance for 2 Concacaf teams to advance into the quarters.

4- We would face Spain or Ireland if we beat Italy, we'd face Germany or Paraguay if we beat MExico.

5- The ITalians will underestimate us. Mexico knows how good we are.

Playing for a tie is VERY dangerous. Imagine 0-0 with 2 minutes to play and Poland has a corner. Would you feel good?

To be the best, you must beat the best. Bring on Vieri.

Mexico/US would be another emtional match like the one with South Korea was.

Italy/US just brings up the potential of facing a team with a lot more talent.

either way it is going to be a very difficult match to win and advance if indeed the US does get a result against the Poles.

making it to the final 8 would be a HUGE achievement for a team that finished dead last among 32 in France in 1998.

Actually, making the round of 16 would be an achievement as well, especially considering that almost every pre-tournament publication picked the Portuguese and Poles to advance from the group.

This is the Cup of upsets. Of the pre-favorites only Brazil, Italy and Germany remain.

Other capable teams include England, Spain and Sweden.

Mexico is finally living up to its own expectations by making the round of 16 as group leader.

Like Spain, Mexico has fared poorly in the Cup given the strength of its national leagues.

If the US is to face either Mexico or Italy in a second round match, why would the squad not look for a result against Poland?

Mexico is playing very good soccer right now. Italy has the capability to win the tournament.

The Poles are 0-2 and haven't looked good.

Their inability to stay with Korea pointed up their lack of speed. The Portuguese just had more skill.

The US has better athletes and believe it or not greater international experience.

The US also has much better goalkeeping with Brad Friedel. :)

At this point I'd rather play Italy. Their goal kepper is suspect. I would rather play a team that is less familiar with our style of play at this stage of the game. Italy won't take us seriously and show us no respect and we can do to them what we did to Portugal.

I believe the US and Mexico are even sides. I also believe that the US and Italy are even sides. (My opinion). As such, I would rather face a team that doesnt know us very well and can be caught by suprise.

We beat Portugal because they were completely caught off guard by our speed and counter ability. They have known for 6 months they would be playing us. Italy will have 10 days of knowledge to base a gameplan. And even then, there is no chance they will think we are as good as we are. That will be our advantage.

Mexico on the othr hand has watched and played us for years. They know how fast we are, they know where our weaknesses are, they know we can beat them and therefor wont take us for granted.

Talent and Kilmer17, Indeed team USA has beaten or tied Mexico quite a few times in the past 2-3 years, but back then Mexico was slumping real bad with an Identity crises caused by the then National Coach, Enrique Meza who almost single handedly makes mexico not qualify to the World Cup.

In comes Aguirre and his no prisoners mentality and he qualified Mexico to the tournament and now in first place in group g. Italy was real desperate and finally got the tieing goal on a quick lateral inbound that completely surprised the defense.

This Mexican team is a very dangerous team, even for the Americans, because we do know Bruce Arena's scheme. Mexico's weakness is speed and Korea has plenty...

But Javier Aguirre will have the team ready to face anybody, you can bet on that, If Mexico advances past the next round, you'll be seeing the tournament's dark horse.

Take my mexican word on that.

I don't think there is much difference this year in playing either Mexico or Italy. Italy obiously has more of a history as a world cup power, but both teams are playing very well. It would be wonderful to get to play either of them, and it's possible for us to beat either.

the US will be an underdog in either second round match.

as I have mentioned, I think the Italians record does not reflect the talent on hand. Those disallowed goals which should have counted (2 of the 3 in my opinion) would have lead to a better record.

Kilmer, the US and Italy don't have roughly equivalent squads. That's like comparing the Trailblazers to the Lakers.

We are closer to Mexico in talent, but the reception their team would receive at home after losing to the US means we would get their best.

If we play Mexico, who I agree we're more evenly matched with, it's just another CONCACAF game between two old rivals. It would be great to beat them, but it does nothing to increase our national standing in the soccer world.

OTOH, Italy has everything to lose by playing us and nothing to gain. Remember that this was a team that reached the finals 8 years ago. But, they're playing mediocre soccer right now, and they're under fire at home for it. Their worst nightmare is to have played a mediocre first round, and to lose to us in the second. If we beat them, the world takes notice for a second time in the same World Cup.

And believe it or not, I like Novato see Mexico as a team of destiny. I think Italy, in this particular World Cup match, at this particular point in time, is a much more favorable opponent to be playing for us.

Archived