Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs draft closing press conference.

Art

APRIL 24, 2005

HEAD COACH JOE GIBBS

05 NFL Draft Closing Press Conference

On selecting Stanford linebacker Jared Newberry:

“I told him on the phone that he might be too smart for us to coach. They played him a lot outside. They thought they had to play him a lot outside in their scheme this year because personnel wise they were short. We think he would be a very good inside linebacker. He is very smart, real sharp, plays extremely well, and we think he could fit in and compete for the middle linebacker position. He is one of those guys that can get everyone lined up and is the captain of the defense, so we think he fits in real well with us.”

On selecting The Citadel running back Nehemiah Broughton Jr.:

“Earnest Byner went down and had a workout with him personally at the campus. We really like him. We think both of these guys will fit in real well on special teams. He is a big running back, when I say big he is only 5-11 but he is 250 lbs. We think he is a real good teams guy. Earnest really liked him in the workout and we think he would be a very good teams guy. We think he fits in very well with us. Having said that what we will do with Manuel (White) because we have a big fullback we will start him at H-back. Teach him a few things at the running back position and then see how we fit in there.”

On the NFL Draft:

“I know everybody says this but we feel good about the draft. A lot of work goes into it and you come out of it in this case with six players. We think we accomplished a lot in the draft and we feel good about it. We will see how our guys fit in there. This afternoon we will get busy with free agents. Then we will have our mini camp next weekend for the rookies. We will have everybody here for the indoctrination program. Then we will get back and close in on our OTA days here pretty quick. We were really pleased with our draft. I think everybody in there from Dan (Snyder) on down thought we got a lot out of it and hopefully we got some excellent Redskins.”

On what will happen at next weekend’s rookie mini camp:

“Next weekend, first of all there will be a lot of try out players along with our free agent signings and our draft choices. The problem is with the draft choices, a number of our guys here have already graduated, but the rules say you are not allowed to have them here, just certain days even if they have graduated. What we hope they will take from here a week from tomorrow would be a complete notebook on all of the basics. They will have the basics of the offense. We will give them as much as they can.”

Archived