Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: Campbell has all the skills, but Redskins have other issues

Did a check of thread titles...didn't see one with this in it, so...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2005/edholm5.htm

Campbell has all the skills, but Redskins have other issues

By Eric Edholm

April 23, 2005

I'll start by saying I like Jason Campbell. Maybe more than the average guy. But I am not crazy about Jason Campbell to the Redskins. Let me explain …

I just think that this team had bigger needs at that point. They had the second-ranked defense in the NFL and a horrid offense. Grab a receiver, please. David Patten and Santana Moss do not a great WR combo make. And they won’t get one capable of playing right away. Their next pick isn’t until the fourth round. By then the top receivers will be long gone.

Now, as for Campbell. The kid has a winner’s makeup. He finally played in an offensive system under Al Borges his final season at Auburn that played to his strengths and the results were fantastic. I liked the guy better than Aaron Rodgers, and he is, perhaps, more of a known quantity than Alex Smith, picked No. 1.

But isn’t Joe Gibbs the man who turned Jay Schroeder, Mark Rypien and Doug Williams into winners? Isn’t he the guy who has three quarterbacks already? What does this say about his confidence in Patrick Ramsey, the man he already has proclaimed his starter in ’05? Has that changed now? Doubtful, but it has to cast some serious doubt in Ramsey’s mind about his coach’s confidence. It also has to raise serious red flags amongst teams that might be interested in trading for Ramsey now.

I don’t know … I guess I just don’t get it. Chances are, Campbell will be so good that this will go down as a great pick. It could happen. I just think there were other ways the Redskins could have gone to help next year’s team. Though it’s possible that they took a player who becomes great in a draft that, in five years, might look pretty crummy. I reserve the right to change my mind at that time.

Originally posted by Art

Everyone, please note, a great receiver tandem is apparently necessary to win in the NFL. Like in New England or Philly before T.O. Greatness in the pairing is a must and we never knew.

They also had great QB's to make up for that lack of skill of wide reciever, we do not.

Here's an interesting side thought though, wouldn't it be fun if we traded Ramsey and just went ahead with Brunell as the starter again, I know I'm looking forward to that! :doh:

Originally posted by Aluadan

They also had great QB's to make up for that lack of skill of wide reciever, we do not.

Here's an interesting side thought though, wouldn't it be fun if we traded Ramsey and just went ahead with Brunell as the starter again, I know I'm looking forward to that! :doh:

This is a good point. So, we should count you as another one thrilled we drafted a QB in an effort to achieve the level of QB play New England has. Right?

You identified a limitation in our receivers last year in the form of bad QB play. Obviously drafting a QB fills that need, right?

Even if we can't quite get to Brady's level, we have receivers who've played better as individuals in the league than they have, so, that might help out.

Archived