Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Whither The Nets?

bulldog

The Eastern Conference is young. Both teams in the Eastern Conference Finals have rosters composed of 24 and 25 year old players, most in the NBA for 2 or 3 seasons.

While that bodes well for the future (at least if some big men appear in future drafts), it doesn't do much for the present.

While the Lakers or Kings would win against the Nets/Celtics, the climb against the Lakers is more difficult because of the experience factor.

If the Kings had made the Finals they like the Nets would be there for the first time. It would take both teams a game or two to settle into a rhythm.

Against the Lakers the Nets don't have that luxury.

After a tough game 7 against Sacramento, the time to get up on the Lakers was right away in Game 1.

But the Lakers, experienced as they are, also realized the importance of keeping the homefield and came up with a surprisingly active first 25 minutes to build a lead in Game 1, which held up once the legs started to give out in the second half.

The Game 2 blowout was the Lakers rested and at full strength, ready to play a full 48 minutes.

The Nets are too young and too inexperienced to handle that this time around. Jason Kidd is a veteran point guard in his prime and he is a marvelous player, but he isn't enough by himself.

Van Horn and Martin have only been marginally effective and the inside play against O'Neal by MacCullough and Williams has been awful, quite honestly.

Kobe and Shaq haven't had to work very hard to get their points in the first two games and that is the reason the series is a velvet 2-0 for the Lakers so far.

Now that blood is in the water I don't expect Jackson, Shaq or the other veterans on the team to let up and allow the Nets to regroup at home.

Game 3 is in essence the series for the Nets. A win for the Lakers and this puppy is over.

Knowing that I think you will see the best game of the playoffs from LA in Game 3, there is nothing to hold back, no next series to worry about.

With Shaq and Kobe healthy and the outside shooters finding their range on the three, things are likely to get even uglier for the Nets.

The outcome of all the remaining games in the series is in the Lakers' hands, only. If they play their game, they win. Period. If they let up - and they've done that at least once the last two years in the finals - they'll lose. I think they'll let up once, and they'll win in five. But this series should be a sweep, with Game 1 being the closest the Nets get to winning.

I will be at tomorrow night's game. We made a huge poster of Shaq's head on Shreks body with the big green ears coming out of shaq's head.........Look for us behind the basket :) up about 16 rows :)

It is funny as hell........and we changed the color of shreks outfit to laker colors .......lol...We still are debating what to say.....

I heard the fat lady in Game one going "me me me me me!"

The Nets will be one and done.

J Kidd the free agent could go back West to a team like the Spurs to give them a solid backcourt to go with Duncan even though I wish the Bullets could get him then again Andre Miller is worth the lottery pick and one of our point guards.

I was suppossed to go tonight, but my back went out doing a side job today and I can't go. Hopefully I can go to the next game. My buddies are still going and they have that huge Shaq/shrek banner. I hope they get on tv with that banner....It is funny as hell. Well gotta go watch the game. Wife has the heating pad all ready for me:D

J Kidd the free agent could go back West to a team like the Spurs to give them a solid backcourt to go with Duncan even though I wish the Bullets could get him then again Andre Miller is worth the lottery pick and one of our point guards.

Nah, the Spurs are digging that Tony Parker kid they picked up from Europe. As far as lez boulez, I'd rather the PG be younger. My dream list?

Bibby (RFA)

Stevie Franchise (trade of some sort)

Andre Miller (trade, eventual FA)

Archived