Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are aging vets really such a bad investment in today's NFL?

NoCalMike

When you look around the league, for the most part teams are not staying together for very long. Sure, you have you core group of mainstays, however eveyteam goes after vets that may be considered "aging" to fill gaps and holes. Add to that, the turnover ratio of players is so high these days that it almost is a given that the vets that are signed, are only meant to be there a few years, and not there to revive a "magical second career" Shawn Springs is a good example of this, as I would imagine he won't be as good as he was last season for longer then maybe two more seasons, but you know what, that means we get three very productive seasons out of him, and maybe that is all Greg Williams had in mind anyway. David Patten is another example. Sure at 31( I think ) he is no ripe tomato, but there are other intangibles there that made him a good candidate for us to sign. It's not like we signed him to a ten year career hoping he would be a mainstay. I know often teams get burned with the wrong guess, such as a Warren Sapp, or in our case, a Mark Carrier, but overall I don't think signing "aging" Vets, especially 28-32 years of age, is such a bad thing.

It's all about scouting and REALLY examining the guy's play, not just going off what you think he MIGHT do in your system. Shawn still had the physical talents and it was well known in Seattle that a change of scenery would be an improvement for him. Maybe no one thought he'd be a top 2 CB in the league, but that's how it worked out.

Sapp could have been predicted by anyone with a brain.

So, I guess if you're scouting and such is on point (PLUS coaching) then you can turn some oldheads into productive players for a few more years.

it depends on the coaching system I think. For Patten, Gibbs wanted a speedy veteran wide receiver, like Thrash, who can help younger guys like Jacobs and who are also consistent and dont drop balls. You got Springs about right, Gregg Williams saw what he wanted in Springs and maybe not in Winfield. 28-32 Isnt really a problem age group either, I think its when you get about 32 then you can be conisdered really old.

Archived