Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merriman is high-class...Q & A w/ skins.com

jrockster21

This is going to be a big disapointment / let down. I like gibbs and Gw, but I dont think there going to make the right choice. I see them getting pollack, james, or spears and the cowboys getting merriman.

I hope Im wrong though.

I don't even think we need to sign Dyson to make this work.

We have Springs and Harris to start. Harris has started plenty and a lot of people said when we signed him that it was a coup to have him as a nickel guy since he had been a starter for so long. So let him start, and get someone to compete with Wilds for the nickel.

DE is our biggest need IMO. If we have someone who can get pressure without us having to blitz as much, then our CB's no matter who they are look all the more better. Look at how much Kearse improved Philly's defense in that regard. They didn't miss Taylor and Vincent much because of the extra pressure Kearse was getting.

What is everyone afraid of as far as CB is concerned?

Is it because Walt Harris isn't an everyday name? Cause it's not like the guy isn't a starter. If he was on another team I'll bet people would be clamoring to get HIM.

We need competition at the nickel spot. We don't need to draft a 1st round CB to compete for the nickel spot.

Merriman bulked up from the 250's to the 270's after his last collegiate season. When I mentioned that he was a tweener a week ago I got jumped on because the guy is NOW 274.

But we haven't seen him PLAY at 274 on the defensive line. Maybe that's his spot in the NFL, maybe not.

With the #9 pick overall, I don't see the Redskins taking a guy that they HOPE can come in and play a set spot in the NFL, I think they are looking for a guy they have little question can do so.

Originally posted by bhayesp

What is everyone afraid of as far as CB is concerned?

Is it because Walt Harris isn't an everyday name? Cause it's not like the guy isn't a starter. If he was on another team I'll bet people would be clamoring to get HIM.

We need competition at the nickel spot. We don't need to draft a 1st round CB to compete for the nickel spot.

I for one am not afraid of walt harris being our number 2 CB... I'm afraid of Jimoke and Wilds having to start if either Harris or Springs goes down.

I think Rufus and Wilds might actaully pan out somday, but Jimoh scares me and I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had some cushion b/w starters and him...

Originally posted by Kevin B.

I for one am not afraid of walt harris being our number 2 CB... I'm afraid of Jimoke and Wilds having to start if either Harris or Springs goes down.

I think Rufus and Wilds might actaully pan out somday, but Jimoh scares me and I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had some cushion b/w starters and him...

I feel this. I understand. But if your fear is depth, then I wouldn't go out of my way to spend a 1st round pick on depth unless we felt comfortable everywhere else and were taking the best available player.

Originally posted by jrockster77

1) GWill has already proven that he can find 'diamonds in the rough' at corner by picking up Garnell Wilds last season. True, it was one game, but it was against the top receiver in the league. He will be able to find someone who can give a solid contribution in the secondary.

2) Springs gets a bum-rap for being injury-prone, but he really hasn't missed that many games compared to someone like C. Brown, who is REALLY injury prone. He's played in 108 of 128 possible games (84%) and has missed more than 6 games only once in his career (8 in 2001). Not to mention he played in all 16 games three years in a row (98-00). Compared to C. Brown Springs is a fountain of youth!!!

Wilds also played very solid in the preseason and I for one was surprised that he did not make the opening day roster over a guy like Jimoh. I was very happy to see him added. This guy is good and I look forward to seeing him more this season.

Thank you for pointing out that out about Springs. Yes, he does seem to get hurt more than the average player but it has not seemed to keep him out of games.

With the first pick, we are going to take the guy that best matches our defensive or offensive philosiphy. No doubt that there is at least 3 or 4 guys who fit that bill.

I think it will all come down to which player on the board do the coaches have as the higher impact.

Mind you, I realize that this is just smoke being blown but its tough trying to figure out what the coaches deem as an impact player.

I am not sure that Coach will deem any of the players on the top of the board that we have a shot at as impact players on offense. I think Williams and Edwards would both fit the bill, but they won't be there.

On defense, do we go after a Merriman type player before we get a new corner? Thats the question.

Plus, what if anything, do we get for Gardner. That can change our draft strategy dramatically.

All will be interesting come the end of April.

Originally posted by bhayesp

I don't even think we need to sign Dyson to make this work.

We have Springs and Harris to start. Harris has started plenty and a lot of people said when we signed him that it was a coup to have him as a nickel guy since he had been a starter for so long. So let him start, and get someone to compete with Wilds for the nickel.

DE is our biggest need IMO. If we have someone who can get pressure without us having to blitz as much, then our CB's no matter who they are look all the more better. Look at how much Kearse improved Philly's defense in that regard. They didn't miss Taylor and Vincent much because of the extra pressure Kearse was getting.

Personally I am not sold on Harris being a #2 CB. I do like him in the nickle role.

Originally posted by Bufford

signing a guy like Dyson, and getting a really warrior type guy like Merriman to play DE and LB (to flip with Lavar at times) would be killer. I think we could wait until next year before taking a stud CB in the 1st.

Plus, I think a few posters in this thread forgot that we have more than just a 1st round draft pick. We could easily draft Merriman in the 1st and find a utility CB player in the 3rd or 4th.

Merriman would just be a good fit for GW. His versatility is exactly what our defense could use to get to the next level.

Merriman bulked up from the 250's to the 270's after his last collegiate season. When I mentioned that he was a tweener a week ago I got jumped on because the guy is NOW 274.

But we haven't seen him PLAY at 274 on the defensive line. Maybe that's his spot in the NFL, maybe not.

The thing is, Merriman played defensive end very well at around 255lbs, and you actually have film of him playing DE at that weight. The fact that he can even get to 274lbs is encouraging. Some very good DEs have been playing in NFL for years and can't put on that much weight, no matter how much they work out. Will the extra weight adversely affect his play? Well, his workout numbers suggest otherwise. Of course, you can't just go by workout numbers. But my guess is that film will show that the guy knows how to play, and extra weight doens't make you dumber.

I just wouldn't get too concerned about his weight, period. You don't really have to project him as a defensive end, because that's what he played in college. You really have to project him more as a linebacker. It's not like he was one of those TRUE "tweeners," which are 240lb college defensive ends.

I like what Merriman has going on above his shoulders. He's intelligent and conscientious. I saw an interview with him, and his demeanor reminded me of Charles Mann, who Gibbs will tell you is one of the smartest players he's coached.

Please keep in mind that Gregg Williams' defense begins and ends with PRESSURE. Everything is predicated on pressure. While it's great to have, you don't need cornerbacks who can blanket receivers 40 yards downfield if the QB doesn't have time to look 40 yards downfield.

This draft is very deep in the cornerback department. I think you'll be able to find some very intreaguing prospects as late as the 3rd or 4th rounds. They might not be as complete or polished as the guys you'll get at the top of the first round, but I think the Skins have enough depth there to allow a guy to develop. As is usually the case, defensive linemen who can rush the passer are probably going to be off the board by the early second round. After that, I think what you'll have left are extreme projects who might take a long time to become productive, if ever; or situational pass rushers--the Skins don't need more of those.

I'm on the Merriman bandwagon. I think he'd be a great pick for the Redskins at #9.

I saw him play in Charlottesville last season and I never really thought he made an impact on the field. There were even cases where Heath Miller blocked him downfield. He didn't command the respect of a double team either. I think he had several tackles but again, not many "impact" plays.

On paper he looks good, and he sounds like a good guy, I just don't think he's the right pick at #9. I'm all for a Gibbs-style player.....but I think we can do better with the #9 pick. If they think he's the guy, they should try to trade down a few slots....I just think #9 is way too high.

If this was even an "average" year for pass rushing ends, Merriman and top 10 pick wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

:paranoid:

Originally posted by Bufford

If he has both Harris AND Dyson, then we would have a rookie that would be yelling to start right away.

With Merriman. He would be rotated in with the DE's.....AND that means he could be playing some LB when he's not a DE. Especially on rushing downs.

I mean, if Edwards or Williams fell to us, I think you can't pass on them. But I'd put this guy 3rd on my list for ones I want in the 1st.

^^^^^^^

i love the idea of that and man im late on this q&a with Merriman. sounds good though.

"Q: Are you hoping to get selected by the Redskins?

A: "I definitely wouldn't mind playing for the Redskins. If they need me, I'm here with a Redskins cap on and I'm ready to get out there and start working.""

^^^ hmm..just might happen.

I am not comfortable with our 3rd CB being Garnell Wilds. Maybe after this season. But the kid is still very young, and if forced into the starting lineup could prove a liability.

How is drafting a CB improving on this? At least Wilds has a year of experience in the defense. (I also suspect that Andre Lott will probably see a lot of nickel duty as well.) No matter who you draft, the guy is going to have to make an adjustment.

Personally, I think we should draft him because there isn't a whole lot of impact ends in the draft, while CB is fairly deep. I could easily see Merriman comming in on passing downs and just teeing off on the QB...

Archived