Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleeper CB prospect

GURU

If the Skins don't go cornerback in the first round, you gotta check this guy out:

Chris McKenzie, CB Arizona State, 5'8" 185lbs

Not impressed?

Drew Boylhart from The Huddle Report thinks he can be another Darrell Green:

Chris might be the fastest player in this draft. He is an excellent man-on-man CB and is a wrap up, head up, squeeze and drive tackler. He has good strength and plays bigger than his size. He has excellent CB skills and the only way a WR gets behind him is if he knocks Chris out cold on the field. He is very smart, plays zone defense and will intercept the ball if you throw in his area. Chris has good mental toughness and plays the cornerback position like a black widow looking for another husband to marry ... Without a doubt, Chris is the first player I’ve ever seen that I would compare to Darrell Green ... He is faster, a better cover corner, a better tackler and about the same height and weight as Pac Man Jones. He will sacrifice his body for the play and I just bet he will play hurt and you’ll never know it ... Remember my saying, “You can’t catch speed.” This kid has more speed and is as quick as the quickest in this draft. Oh, don’t worry about Chris against bigger WR’s. He has handled the biggest and the fastest and has done very well against them. He will become a core player, a fan favorite and a Pro Bowl player…I have no doubt about this.

Still not convinced? Here's a report from the combine by Gil Brandt I found on redskins.com :

Brace yourself: Eleven players (in the second group of cornerbacks at the combine) ran for times of 4.40 and under! Eleven! Of the 11, six ran for times of 4.35 and under! Those six young men are Arizona State's Chris McKenzie (4.31), Auburn's Carlos Rogers (4.31), Houston's Stanford Routt (4.34), Nebraska's Fabian Washington (4.31), Oklahoma State's Darrent Williams (4.31) and Stanford's Stanley Wilson (4.34). All six of these guys worked out as cornerbacks, so that is a very promising sign for the future of NFL cover corners.

If that weren't enough, McKenzie also leaped 45 inches in the vertical jump and 11 feet, 4 inches in the broad jump. McKenzie told NFL.com he felt he would have done even better had he not strained a pectoral muscle while doing his bench presses. His former coach at Glendale (Ariz.) Community College, Joe Kersting, claims to have timed McKenzie in under 4.2 in the 40! McKenzie talked to only a handful of teams at the combine -- he claims he was "under the radar" at Arizona State, even though the Sun Devils went 9-3 last season -- but he'll certainly get a longer look when they see his numbers, which he'll try to improve upon at one of ASU's two pro days.

More on him at NFL.com .

Whatcha think?

I go to Arizona State...ok yes hes good but dont be mislead he isnt as good as these two men are making him out to be. Yes he has amazing athletic ability and i think that in a system much like the Redskins he could be extremely successful but proceed with caution...he is defniatley a project player :2cents:

:whoknows:

Archived