Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arnold The Politician

Yomar

Describing a 6-year-old child as an "empty bucket" and an 18-year-old adult as a "bucket that someone has filled" makes me want to say, "Please Arnold, do go on."

"Do you honestly think we have done everything we possibly could to enhance our children's development? *Dramatic pause as weight of question sinks in* NO! *Shake head in disbelief at absurdity of it all* Not by a long shot!"

- Paraphrasing Arnold on local news clip tonight

Let the record show, Arnold stands squarely in favor of enhancing the development of children.

Yet somehow, I have a feeling that if I had a kid, I wouldn't want Arnold filling his or her bucket.

Schwarzenegger Promotes Initiative

Sat May 18, 7:43 PM ET

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Arnold Schwarzenegger told a newspaper editors' conference that he wants to terminate idleness among youth, which he said leads to drug abuse and delinquency.

The 54-year-old star of "The Terminator" and "True Lies" was promoting a 2002 state ballot initiative that would set aside more than $400 million for extracurricular activities and tutoring help for students in kindergarten through ninth grade.

"When (kids) go to school at the age of 6 there's an empty bucket there, and someone by the time they're 18 will fill that bucket. Is it going to be a parent? Is it going to be a good educator? Is it going to be a good mentor? Or is it going to be some other scum out there who is going to fill that bucket?" he said Friday at the annual meeting of the California Society of Newspaper Editors and Associated Press News Executives Council.

The ballot initiative is the Republican actor's first major foray into political life. The Austrian-born entertainer previously has hinted at someday running for California governor, but declined to say Friday how the initiative fits into any grander political aspirations

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020518/ap_on_en_mo/arnold_schwarzenegger_3

Archived