Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

no guard will be coming

bsmsss

I don't know your sources, but I concur that it appears reasonable the Redskins can scare up a left guard from among the host of younger players they are going to have in camp.

remember when the Redskins used to add a rookie free agent or low round pick who came in and contributed to the team?

I know it has been awhile, but here's to hoping. :)

The story of David Loverne's exodus from New York was a strange one. I can't believe the Jets actually let a guy go over a jersey squabble.

Actually, I can't believe a guy like Dave Szott who appeared to have so much on his plate with the care of his young son has the time to start a war over getting jersey #79. Bizarre.............

Coleman the #6 pick is a possibility inside. The team may be tempted to groom him for right tackle, but he cold end up a guard in the NFL.

Sulfsted has size but from the Helton article appears to be very raw.

I don't see Brandt starting at guard for the team. I think he is the center of the future.

It may be that Larry Moore moves back to guard if Brandt wins the center job in 2003.

Sources?

newspapers, radio talk shows, inside man at redskins park, streetside scuttlebutt, internet web chats or boards ?????

You make a comment like that, especially as a newbie, no one know if it's valid or rumor...

Just saying we don't have a feel for how to rate your sources or info yet. nothing meant by it.

At this point, I agree they should try to figure out what they have between sulfsted, Brandt, Coleman, and anyone else they've brought in.

I just wish they'd apply it to WR, giving McCants, Skaggs, andf emmitt Johnson (from VT) a real chance. I think Skaggs could surprise if given a legit opportunity. He's got the work ethic you want in a young player.

I don't think Brandt has the footspeed and athleticism to be a pulling guard for this team. His bio indicates he is better suited to center in the NFL where he can use his strength and toughness but won't have to operate in space.

Thats god news an lets the kids know that if they work hard they have a fair shot at playing and starting.

I was thinking more of Tucker moveing from Tackle to LG.

And I too wish this confidence moved over to the young WRs we have on the team already.

If they do sign two DTs and then stand pat afterwars, S Double in his drawl will instill confidence in fans by saying "we are quite happy with the kids we have on he team and re sure they will do a comendable job at LG."

Paige emerging wouldn't be a surprise development to me.

He was projected to be drafted in the mid to late rounds. He was rated higher than Coleman on a lot of boards. One of his strengths as a blocker at South Carolina was pulling and getting to the second level of defenders. That's exactly what you look for in a left guard. Plus, he's very smart, and picking up line calls will be key to who gets the job.

I think the other 4 OL positions are solid enough. This isn't really a bad group of youngsters to work with. I think one of them will emerge and do a good job. The competition will help improve the quality of the depth, too, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Montilar

Sources?

newspapers, radio talk shows, inside man at redskins park, streetside scuttlebutt, internet web chats or boards ?????

You make a comment like that, especially as a newbie, no one know if it's valid or rumor...

Just saying we don't have a feel for how to rate your sources or info yet. nothing meant by it.

At this point, I agree they should try to figure out what they have between sulfsted, Brandt, Coleman, and anyone else they've brought in.

I just wish they'd apply it to WR, giving McCants, Skaggs, andf emmitt Johnson (from VT) a real chance. I think Skaggs could surprise if given a legit opportunity. He's got the work ethic you want in a young player.

This is normal for him. One of the complaints that some AOL posters had about him. His sources are probably the ones you listed. Give him time to get used to the board norms.

We have to pro-bowl caliber tackles, a steady, experienced center who is verstile, and a veteran right guard with good athleticism.

That's 4 out of the 5 spots nailed down solid, and most importantly, our ends are viturally impenetrable.

If we're going to take a chance, by all means, take it at guard. Besides, OG is one of those positions where your overall salary cap situation requires you to make due on the cheap.

So if the coaches are preparing to take a gamble on a rookie, I'm all for doing it at guard.

Archived