Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cap/Draft Question

Doozinbrah

OK if I understand this correctly we are only going to have about 4m in cap space. Can somone tell me how we will be able to sign the Rookies we draft this year with only that amount? Is there some sort of stipulation where drafted rookies do not effect the cap their rookie year?Thanks

I believe their cap space total is closer to 400K than it is to 4M at this point. They will need about 1.7M to sign their draft so that will come either from space created by releasing players after 6/1 or from about 2M of space created by trading Gardner. They will also need extra space to give Moss an extension and to pay their practice squad and for possible injury replacements.

Originally posted by Pocono

I believe their cap space total is closer to 400K than it is to 4M at this point. They will need about 1.7M to sign their draft so that will come either from space created by releasing players after 6/1 or from about 2M of space created by trading Gardner. They will also need extra space to give Moss an extension and to pay their practice squad and for possible injury replacements.

I believe the space is more like 3.4-4 million. I looked at ESPN and saw we had 9.7 before the trade. Although Coles cost 9.3 agains tthis cap, we had already fatored in 3.6 for his cap hit this year. SO while total we took a 9.3 million cap hit, it only took around another 6 million off the cap number, leaving us with like 3.5-4 million left.

Originally posted by eeyeats

I believe the space is more like 3.4-4 million. I looked at ESPN and saw we had 9.7 before the trade. Although Coles cost 9.3 agains tthis cap, we had already fatored in 3.6 for his cap hit this year. SO while total we took a 9.3 million cap hit, it only took around another 6 million off the cap number, leaving us with like 3.5-4 million left.

Clayton gets his cap space numbers from the NFLPA and I checked when that 9.6M number came out and Salavea was listed at that time but Rabach Patten Albright Brown Doering and Kozlowski weren't listed and Gardner's salary hadn't been bumped at that time. Even now Patten and some of the others haven't hit their data bank yet

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPage=Player+Search+Results

So after the Coles trade used 6M and adding Moss adds 400K they should be right around the cap limit. That's probably why they asked Noble and Harris to restructure.

That link doesn't seem to work but here is what is listed for WR for the Skins.

Player Search Results

Your search returned the following 5 players. Please narrow your search criteria by selecting a team or a position if the player you were searching for does not appear on the list.:

Name

Position

Team

Compensation

Black, Nathan WR Washington Redskins 305000.00

Brown, Antonio WR Washington Redskins 380000.00

Coles, Laveranues WR Washington Redskins 1500000.00

Gardner, Rod WR Washington Redskins 2096800.00

Jacobs, Taylor WR Washington Redskins 380000.00

McCants, Darnerien WR Washington Redskins 545000.00

Thrash, James WR Washington Redskins 665000.00

Every press agency that is talking about this trade is saying that we have 3-4 million left. I can't imagine making this trade if it left us with less than a million left. That wouldn't make it hard to re-sign Smoot, Brown, Sellers, and Warner. It would make it impossible.

Also, there is no possibility that we cut Raymer AND Friedman, and even more likely that we cut neither unless we aquire a guard sometime soon. Albright is not a Center, he is strictly a Long Snapper. And Gibbs has said he won't be cutting Raymer, which you should be able to take him at. And Friedman now becomes a reserve Guard.

Originally posted by bhayesp

Every press agency that is talking about this trade is saying that we have 3-4 million left. I can't imagine making this trade if it left us with less than a million left. That wouldn't make it hard to re-sign Smoot, Brown, Sellers, and Warner. It would make it impossible.

Also, there is no possibility that we cut Raymer AND Friedman, and even more likely that we cut neither unless we aquire a guard sometime soon. Albright is not a Center, he is strictly a Long Snapper. And Gibbs has said he won't be cutting Raymer, which you should be able to take him at. And Friedman now becomes a reserve Guard.

The problem is every press agency would be getting the Skin's cap space number from the NFLPA and they haven't updated yet to reflect the signings of Patten Brown Doering and Kozloski and they may have looked before Gardner's extra hit and they also wouldn't reflect the recent developement of Warner being up graded from an ERFA to an RFA which would entail a cap hit of about 270K.

It seems to me that just since last season you had Ramsey complaining they were trying to avoid PT incentives by signing Brunell and Arrington filing a grievience against the team and Clifton Smith complaining they tried to put him on practice squad IR when he belonged on regular IR and then the Skins trying to squeeze Coles' bonus back out of him and now Warner having to be upgraded from ERFA to RFA by the league. It seems like there's a lot of anti-player stuff going on in the Skin's FO.

So the bottom line is that the Coles debacle cost us any opportunity to re-sign Smoot. Whether the available cap space is $3M or $400,000, it is insufficient to give any serious money to Smoot, AND sign Moss to a long term contract AND sign our rookies.

I understand the wish to get something in return for Coles and the wasted #1 pick 2 years ago, but this stubbornness cost us $6M in current year cap hit. That translates into losing Smoot AND eliminating any hope of trading down for extra picks, since we could not pay those extra picks (unless those picks are all in rounds 6 or 7, and like Molinaro and Wilson, sit on the bench all year=no help)). A decent pick in the second round will still cost big $$$.

:puke:

If Barrow is healthy a restructure could put a $1M on the cap space as well as Harris. I do not think he has restructered. Paying the larger salaries in bonus with league minimum definitely has cleared room but it pushes our eventual deadcap money out. These two could achieve another $2M or so. Barrow has not been restructured due to his potential unavailability.

Originally posted by Pocono

The problem is every press agency would be getting the Skin's cap space number from the NFLPA and they haven't updated yet to reflect the signings of Patten Brown Doering and Kozloski and they may have looked before Gardner's extra hit and they also wouldn't reflect the recent developement of Warner being up graded from an ERFA to an RFA which would entail a cap hit of about 270K.

It seems to me that just since last season you had Ramsey complaining they were trying to avoid PT incentives by signing Brunell and Arrington filing a grievience against the team and Clifton Smith complaining they tried to put him on practice squad IR when he belonged on regular IR and then the Skins trying to squeeze Coles' bonus back out of him and now Warner having to be upgraded from ERFA to RFA by the league. It seems like there's a lot of anti-player stuff going on in the Skin's FO.

While its true that you can't trust cap numbers thrown out by the press I have to disagree with you about the anti-player stuff and the Redskins. First of all Dan Snyder has led all NFL owners in paying out guaranteed money to players these past few years. Guaranteed money is the one thing that players want most, simply because the game is so dangerous and each season's paycheck could be their last. I would think that Snyder is one of the NFL's most favorite owners among players.

Second, show me a quote anywhere where Patrick Ramsey complained about the way his contract works or the way he has been treated.

Third, the Arrington grievance has no evidence that the Redskins have done anything underhanded. The only mistakes were made by Arrington and his agents.

Fourth, the only thing I read about the Warner contract was that it was a negotiated deal, not a league mandated change. The Redskins offered Warner a ERFA contract which they had a right to do. Warner turned down the offer which he had a right to do. The Redskins then offered him an RFA contract (which gives Warner the ability to test his value on the market). Warner accepted and signed the contract. I read nothing where the Redskins had done anything wrong. Where did you get this?

Fifth, Coles was under contract to play for the Redskins. He had been paid a huge bonus to sign a multi-year contract. It was Coles who wanted out of the contract and who apparently offered to not take the final payment on his bonus. How do you arrive at the conclusion that the Redskins tried to get out of paying him the bonus? Originally the Redskins wanted Coles to stay. It was Coles who was trying to find a way out of the contract, not the Redskins.

Originally posted by STaylorLayintheWOOD

yeah why the hell have we not cut morton yet. he is garbage and we now have antonio brown or moss to be our returners who do a lot better of a job than he does. morton would save us at least 1 mill i think

I believe that we will cut Morton after 6/1 to get some cap relief.

Archived