Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Article: Better to be Big D than DC

Yomar

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/morningline/stories/051602dnspomornline.de8f.html

The Stars and Mavericks are making tee times. The hard-trying Rangers are scrapping to climb over the .500 mark.

But take heart. It could be worse. Ask the dispirited hordes rooting for teams in your nation's capital.

All six Washington-area pro teams failed to make their respective playoffs in the last year. The Wizards, Capitals and Redskins were the big three failures, joined by their little siblings in the WNBA, Major League Soccer and the Women's United Soccer Association.

Heck, even the Baltimore Orioles, the closest thing the Potomac posse has to a baseball team, was shut out on postseason joy last fall.

Blame? We're going with Daniel Snyder, the Redskins' intolerable owner.

Not that he really deserves all of it. But, hey, he's Daniel Snyder.

Dallas?

Mavericks have ZERO NBA titles.

Texas Rangers (nearest MLB team?) have won ZERO AL flags.

Stars have been a good NHL team for about 5 years, with one title in the case. History of the franchise before that has been spotty. Wasn't this the team that stole out of Minnesota in the dark of night like the Colts from Baltimore? :laugh:

Dallas "Stars"? It used to be North Stars, I guess that doesn't fit anymore :D

Cowboys. Yes, a celebrated franchise with many winning seasons, many highs. Many lows too. Winless first season in 1960. 1-13 in 1989. Team has been in the toilet the past 5 years or so. Made the playoffs as a god-awful 8-8 team in 1999. Got blown out by the Jeff George-led Vikings :)

Redskins, Caps, Wizards? Not a pretty lot at the moment, but apart from the Stars nobody in Dallas has brought anything home in 10 years in terms of big wins.

And we all know that hockey in Texas AIN'T the biggest draw on the sports card down there :laugh:

Personally I could care less about Dallas. I've never been there, but that won't stop me from calling it a hick town, even if it is the 7th largest market in the country, just means more hicks, yippe kai yay, what's that, a pink ****tail? Mavericks, what do I care? North Stars, er I mean Stars? Yawn. Rangers? I didn't even know they were a Dallas team. My uninformed opinion of the city has never been more than a dull disdain, and please don't try to educate me, I'd rather learn about the suburban culture of Greenland. But these motherfvcking Cowboys. They really get under my skin.

Dallas, Hmm

NBA Titles Mavericks 0 Bullets 1 out of 3

We didnt make the playoffs which is a shame however the glamour teams Mavericks have nothing to boast about except the word almost.

And Knicks fans can spew nonsense but the fact of the matter is with all of their moves they stll have to admit the Bullets have won the title more recent than them.

Redskins, Caps, Wizards? Not a pretty lot at the moment, but apart from the Stars nobody in Dallas has brought anything home in 10 years in terms of big wins.

Wrong.

The Cowboys have won the Superbowl twice in the past 10 years '93 and '95. The texas rangers won the American League West Division Championship Titles in (09/27/1996) and(09/25/1998).

So much for factual information.

forgot about the Cowboys in '95.

the rest is nitpicking. Yes 1992 and 93 were JUST on the CUSP of being ten years, so while technically correct, you werent' refuting my main point that the 'Boys have been in the toilet for a number of years. :)

And don't even start with the Rangers and their division titles.

They are a choke team in the playoffs just like the Caps.

The Caps won 2 of the past 3 Southeast Division titles in the NHL so I guess by your standard they count as a reigning dynasty? :laugh:

So, there you are the Caps are OUR saviors.................

Dave, Wizards made the Finals in '71, '75, '78 and '79, so that's 1-4 my friend :)

No excuse for being swept in '75 by the Warriors but that is for another thread :D

All I gotta say is, there's no other place I'd rather be in the world rooting for teams than DC. Personally, I only follow the major sports (Football, Baseball, Basketball). But look at our futures: Redskins, do I need to state the obvious? We have a super solid Defense, and Spurrier to lead the way for a guaranteed 5 years. Wizards: We have the greatest player ever teaching our young guys who are blossoming including Rip Hamilton, Kwame Brown, Brendan Haywood. Baseball: Hey, we may be getting a team. Better than the Orioles.

bulldog:

"forgot about the Cowboys in '95. "

How convenient - hehe

the rest is nitpicking. Yes 1992 and 93 were JUST on the CUSP of being ten years, so while technically correct, you werent' refuting my main point that the 'Boys have been in the toilet for a number of years.

Who has been in the Toilet?

THE PAST 10 YEARS

2001 Dallas Cowboys 5-11-0

2000 Dallas Cowboys 5-11-0

1999 Dallas Cowboys 8- 8-0

1998 Dallas Cowboys 10- 6-0

1997 Dallas Cowboys 6-10-0

1996 Dallas Cowboys 10- 6-0

1995 Dallas Cowboys 12- 4-0

1994 Dallas Cowboys 12- 4-0

1993 Dallas Cowboys 12- 4-0

1992 Dallas Cowboys 13- 3-0

2001 Washington Redskins 8- 8-0

2000 Washington Redskins 8- 8-0

1999 Washington Redskins 10- 6-0

1998 Washington Redskins 6-10-0

1997 Washington Redskins 8- 7-1

1996 Washington Redskins 9- 7-0

1995 Washington Redskins 6-10-0

1994 Washington Redskins 3-13-0

1993 Washington Redskins 4-12-0

1992 Washington Redskins 9- 7-0

1991Washington Redskins 14- 2-0(Additional SuperBowl year)

In the past 10 years Dallas had 93 victories and 3 SuperBowls, whilst the Redskins in the past 11 years have had 85 victories and 1 SuperBowl. (Excluding the playoffs for both teams).

Including your teams awesome drafting between 97 and 2000, your team is still 8 victories short and 2 Superbowls away from actualing pulling even with the Cowboys.

Yes, we have sucked the past 5 seasons but what has your great franchise done -

NOTHING!!!

P.S. The bottom line says it all!!!

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1992

"We both have 3 Superbowls"

-Redskin fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1993

"We got their offensive co-ordinator"

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1994

"Heath Shuler is the next Troy Aikman"

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1995

"What just happened"

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1996-2002

"At Least we are better than the Cowboys"

That's pretty good, Q.

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1992

"We both have 3 Superbowls"

True enough.

-Redskin fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1993

"We got their offensive co-ordinator"

Little did we know just how offensive.

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1994

"Heath Shuler is the next Troy Aikman"

And 8 or 10 concussions later, sure enough Aikman has become Schuler's mental equal.

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1995

"What just happened"

That sound was the poke dynasty crashing to earth. Since then the Redskins have been the better team, not that this is something to brag about. The Maryland Terrapins were better than Dallas last year too.

-Redskin Fan Mantra, circa A.D. 1996-2002

"At Least we are better than the Cowboys"

Sad for Skins fans, sadder for pokes.

Jimbodaman:

That's pretty good, Q.

Thanks man.:laugh:

Since 1996

Quality

Chris Samules, Jon Jansen, Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot, Lavar Arrington and Rod Gardner :notworthy

Quantify

ONLY five (5) regular season wins more than the Cowboys :cheers:

Bang for your buck

:shootinth

All I know is we as Redskins fans have been critical and disappointed in our football team over the past 3 years.

And when I look at the final regular season standings I see for each year since 1999 the Cowboys have been looking UP at the Redskins in the NFC East.

That is how I KNOW that Cowboys fans have been hurting as well. :)

Archived