Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(merged) S.I article on Parcells

MrSilverMaC

I know there is a S.I boycot, but it's a good article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jeffri_chadiha/02/22/chadiha.parcells/index.html

I'm starting to wonder how badly this will all end for Bill Parcells. His brief tenure with the Cowboys is already taking misguided turns -- there's no way he can seriously consider Drew Bledsoe as the answer for what ailed a 6-10 team last season -- but there will certainly be more decisions that will leave us shaking our heads. Call it intuition. The unquestioned faith Parcells inspired in so many other franchises isn't in Dallas right now.

Aside from the emergence of Julius Jones and Jason Witten, what has gone right for the man in the last 12 months? The additions of Vinny Testaverde and Keyshawn Johnson didn't exactly ignite the offense last season. Parcells also passed on an opportunity to find a veteran cornerback in free agency, which didn't help when the Cowboys were defending the pass. More recently, Parcells has given no indication he's interested in giving young quarterback Drew Henson a shot at valuable experience. Now Bledsoe is a possibility to join the team, a move owner Jerry Jones reportedly doesn't support.

I bring all this up because Parcells is running out of time. His current contract expires after the 2006 season, and he's not likely to resurrect the Cowboys a second time before that moment arrives. All the good vibes from that 10-6 season in '03 have vanished, and to be honest, I don't see why Parcells would want to do this job much longer.

For one, the longer he sticks around Dallas, the more people are going to wonder if Bill Belichick had more to do with his success than anybody realized. I'm already thinking that, by the way. Secondly, Parcells already has significantly improved his financial situation. He lost quite a bit in his '02 divorce from his ex-wife Judy (including an undisclosed monetary settlement and two homes), but the four-year, $17.1 million deal he signed with Dallas has surely eased that pain.

Finally, I don't know if Parcells has fostered an environment that will yield future success. Valley Ranch is currently a tense place. Parcells has fired four assistants since '03 -- John McNulty, George Warhop, Steve Hoffman and Jim Jeffcoat -- and I suspect he played some role in the retirement of Larry Lacewell, the Cowboys director of college and pro scouting and a longtime friend of Jones. McNulty's dismissal was particularly harsh. After McNulty informed Parcells he had a job offer from New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin last January, Parcells wouldn't let him out of his contract. A few days later, after Coughlin had filled all his positions, Parcells dumped McNulty and replaced him with Todd Haley. And this was after that 10-6 season.

I'm not saying Parcells doesn't have the right to change assistants. I am saying he can be pretty damn heartless, and there's a feeling around the Cowboys that he's become a bit too cruel. One league source says Jones has tried to be a consoling figure around Valley Ranch. When Warhop lost his job, the source says, Jones told him that maybe the team could get him back after a year or so. If that's not a revealing moment, then I don't know what is. Parcells is doing the firing, and Jones is promising to bring people back?

My point is Parcells isn't winning people over anymore. As one team source says, "We all accepted him on blind faith when he came in. We all expected to win, and we were excited when we got to the playoffs. Now I think a lot of people see him differently." This is an especially damning attitude when people view you as a short-timer. For anybody who has a problem with Parcells right now, they have the luxury of knowing he's not likely to be coaching much longer. It's hard to win once that mindset pervades a team.

There have been some rumors that Jones is putting out feelers to people like former Browns coach and Dallas assistant Butch Davis and Arkansas coach Houston Nutt, anticipating the possibility of Parcells walking away after one more season. I wouldn't be surprised. There's been one report that Parcells considered retiring after last season and besides, there's too much work to be done with this current team. Parcells needs to add more playmakers to his roster. He has some assistants who privately wish they could be working elsewhere. He also doesn't have an effective quarterback, and I doubt he can intimidate like he used to. I remember former Cowboys receiver Antonio Bryant slinging that jersey in his face at a mini-camp last spring. I can't believe a young player would've had the audacity to pull that stunt 10 or 15 years ago.

I'm sure all this doesn't sit well with Parcells loyalists and Cowboys fans, many of whom will point to '03 as the main reason not to bash him. To them, let me say this: That will be the best year he ever has in Dallas. He walked in as a legend, but now he's been there two years. And that's long enough for the mystique and the magic to vanish from an act that probably won't play much longer.

My 100th post, and I am no longer the waterboy:party: :40oz:

Originally posted by AzSkinsFan63

I saw the article and the headline is "Parcells done in Dallas".

totally misleading because I thought maybe he announced his retirement..:laugh:

To think people complain about misleading thread titles in here.

Hahaha, thats what I thought too when I first saw it.

So who's going to be billy's replacement I wonder?:laugh: :dallasuck

Good read, as much as I hate to stick up for BP I'm sick of hearing about how BB is responsible for his success, BB has Scott Pioli putting together his roster, Parcells is basically serving as co-gm with Jones, if the roles were reversed and BP or Gibbs were in NE with Pioli and Belichek was here or in Dallas with Snyder or Jones I'd imagine he'd be struggling to break .500 much like 1 current and one future hof'ers are right now.

Taking the long term view, the 10-6 finish and playoff berth a year ago may have been the worst thing that could have happened to the Cowboys. It only served to reinforce their mistaken belief that the personnel they had on hand was adequate and that they didn't require a lot of changes. That was particularly bad at QB and on defense, where I thought they benefitted from deceptively good - or at least adequate in the case of Quincy - play from units or players unlikely to replicate the feat.

Archived