Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cap penalties in madden 2005...

The Showstopper

I've been playing madden 05 for quite some time now and i would like to know about the cap penalties and how they are handled. i know it has to do with the signing bonus. is there any way i can get rid of someone taking up a lot of cap room without taking a big hit via trade or releasing them? any advice would be appreciated.

I've noticed when I start a franchise now (I have the updated rosters) every team has 20+ mil in cap room, even San Fran and the Skins. Did they make a mistake and up the cap with the new rosters but forget to adjust the salaries? Has anyone else had this problem? Sorry to hijack your thread, but I didn't think it'd be appropriate to start a new one.

Originally posted by The Showstopper

I've been playing madden 05 for quite some time now and i would like to know about the cap penalties and how they are handled. i know it has to do with the signing bonus. is there any way i can get rid of someone taking up a lot of cap room without taking a big hit via trade or releasing them? any advice would be appreciated.

Here's an example of a penalty true in both Madden and the NFL:

Let's say a player signs a contract for five years with a $10 mil signing bonus. Let's say he plays 2 years for that team, so he still has three years left on the deal. If the team wants to cut him after the second year, they have to take the hit of the remaining signing bonus. In this case it would be $6 mil. Signing bonuses are basically prorated over the length of the contract. Hopefully that makes sense.

yea it just sucks having to keep around douchebags like mark brunell, the cap hit is ridicolous if i wanna get rid of him..guess i just gotta keep him on board till he retires...

You can click on "clear cap penalties" on one of the pages, and it takes the money off the books. It hurts your team's prestige, though.

hmm do u know which page u can do that on?

I think it's on the "Team info" page- The one that shows your team'm rankings and coach record.

It says on the bottom area of the screen "clear cap penalties" and you his the circle button. (for Ps2) Of course, you would want to do this AFTER unloading the bad/overpaid players.

depends on the dead money amount. I traded Gardner after a season after working him up and took the minimal cap penalty. Same with Bowen and others. What I like is how players in the 60's and 70's could get up to the 90's by the 3rd season cause of the way progression works, sitting as special teams players that too.

One thing you can do, either hope the player retires (how I did with Brunell), or re-sign them to a one year deal, if affordable. What sucks is morale, if you never play the guy and his morale is down to one block, he wont renegotiate anything, and then you're stuck either way. What I like however is that the salary cap rises insanely fast in that game ( I think after 5 seasons mines is up to 135 million).

Archived