Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carthon leaving Dallas

MrSilverMaC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1990909

Crennel wooing Carthon for coordinator's job

The Cleveland Browns announced the first additions to head coach Romeo Crennel's coaching staff as Maurice Carthon will assume the duties of offensive coordinator and John Lott as strength and conditioning coach, the club announced Sunday.

Carthon joins the Browns with 11 years of coaching experience in the NFL and also brings eight years of experience as a player with the New York Giants and Indianapolis Colts. Carthon most recently was the offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys in the 2003-2004 seasons.

Carthon's offense in 2004 featured Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, who led the NFC with 87 receptions and 980 yards receiving. Rookie first-round pick Julius Jones totaled 819 yards at running back despite missing significant time with injuries while quarterback Vinny Testaverde threw for 3,532 yards.

The Cowboys' offense ranked 14th in the NFL with 324.8 yards a game. The team struggled to score, ranking 25th in that category.

Carthon played fullback for the Giants in the mid 1980s when Crennel was the team's special teams coach and later its defensive line coach.

Crennel and Carthon also worked together on current Cowboys coach Bill Parcells' staff with the New York Jets from 1997-99. Lott also worked on those staffs, serving as the strength and conditioning coach with the Jets from 1997-2004.

"I've worked with Maurice for 13 years, both when he was a player and a coach and I have seen how he conducts himself and leads on the field, in the meeting rooms, and in game situations," Crennel said. "He has a tremendous work ethic. Maurice and I share the same philosophy on how our offense will run and I know he will be a great asset to the Cleveland Browns."

Originally posted by Kevin B.

So what does this leave Dallas with? Who's the next OC there?

I see this as good for us - breaking in a new OC would mean a little rust to work out for the 'gals no?

Now all we need is Childress to go somewhere else. I hope some of Reid's staff starts bailing on him too...

Childress just extended his contract for $1 million/per season (I think 3 years).

Archived