Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Preston talks Ravens/Redskins

Walking Deadman

I was reading the Baltimore Sun online and found a great Q&A with the Sun's Mike Preston.

He has alot to say mostly about the Ravens, but mentions some Redskins tie ins (especially the interest in Fred Smoot) and the Ravens push for Randy Moss.

Here's the link:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-preston0208,1,2752663.htmlstory?coll=bal-sports

Enjoy!

Question of the day is this: If you have a game-breaking receiver but an erratic quarterback and a line that can't pass protect, do you really have a game-breaking receiver?

Other than the QB this question could easily have been asked about our team. Are you listening M. Williams fans? Trade down and fix the OL. OTOH, it all depends on who we lose/get in F.A.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Other than the QB this question could easily have been asked about our team. Are you listening M. Williams fans? Trade down and fix the OL. OTOH, it all depends on who we lose/get in F.A.

There is a SEVERE lack of talent in this years draft as it comes to O-lineman. Not a single Center worth taking will be gone in the first and maybe even in the second round.

Once we get a FA center to replace Raymer and this group has another year under Bugel's watch, they should be alot better.

There are greater priorities than O line this year.

You make a good point Oldskool. However, I'm not at all thrilled with the prospects at WR this season either. IMHO most of the best value in this years draft will come from the middle of the first through the middle of the second. Therefore, I think if we do as you say and get a F.A. Center then we'd be better off by trading down and taking the best combo blocking/receiving TE or the best WR available and taking a CB or DE in the 2nd round--if we can get a 2nd rounder for trading down.

My thoughts exactly.. quit the hang up on the marquee players at the top of the board and concentrate on need positions down the 1st round and into the second who can come in and help out the team in their 1st year. O-lineman, DEs, a CB that falls out of the first.

Henry, Annapolis: If Gary Baxter is such a physical corner, why did he play off his man so much this year?

Mike Preston: It's called scheme, Hank. If they want him in press coverage, he plays tight. If they're in a zone, he's back off the line of scrimmage. I think you really need to get to the point. You thought Baxter stunk this year, didn't you? Come on, admit it. I think Baxter had a better year in 2003 than in 2004, but he was one of those young players concerned about a new contract. Ogden got an extension, cornerback Chris McAlister got one (and then squatted for the rest of the season), and Ray Lewis was negotiating for a new one. Guys like Baxter, Hartwell and Douglas were searching for their pots of gold, too. The Ravens would like to re-sign Baxter as a safety to replace Will Demps, and then pursue Washington cornerback Fred Smoot through free agency. The problem is that Baxter wants to play corner and wants a cornerback contract, which is worth more than money for a safety.

So basically, what they want to do, and what they can do are two different things. Baxter controls his own destiny in that if he wants to play corner and the Ravens want him at safety, as a FA, he can high tail to a team that will let him play where he wants.

I could see the Ravens being players for Smoot, but if they do pursue him, they are waving goodbye to baxter and while Smoot may be a better corner, Baxter may cost slightly less and also knows their system.

Better the devil you know?

Archived