Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Johnson Breaks Ankle; Vick Has Numbness in Throwing Hand

jimster

Jan 2, 10:25 PM (ET) Email this Story

By The Associated Press

Dallas receiver Keyshawn Johnson broke his left ankle in the second quarter of the Cowboys' game against the New York Giants on Sunday night.

Johnson twisted the ankle catching a pass, with his cleats appearing to catch in the artificial turf at Giants Stadium. He finished his first season with the Cowboys with 70 catches for 981 yards and six touchdowns.

Earlier, Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick left the Falcons' regular-season finale against Seattle after three series, saying he had numbness in his throwing hand.

Vick, injured on a second-quarter hit, said he'll be ready to play when the NFC South champion Falcons open the playoffs in two weeks.

"My hand went numb, but I was ready to get back out there. I feel good," Vick said after the Falcons' 28-26 loss to the Seahawks.

Minnesota strong safety Corey Chavous said he will miss the Vikings' playoff game next week against Green Bay after breaking his left elbow against Washington.

"It's basically messed up. I'm just dreading telling my mom," said Chavous, injured on a running play in the Vikings' 21-18 road loss.

Green Bay got a scare against Chicago when Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker hit his head on the turf as he was being tackled by Bobby Gray and Charles Tillman. Walker stayed on the ground for a couple of minutes before walking off with a trainer. He did not return, but did not appear to be seriously injured.

In playoff-bound Philadelphia's loss to Cincinnati, Eagles linebacker Mark Simoneau strained his ankle and tight end L.J. Smith left with lower back pain.

Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet had a concussion against St. Louis, but is expected to play in New York's playoff opener at San Diego. He missed the final eight games last season with postconcussion syndrome.

Rams guard Tom Nutten sprained his left knee, putting him in doubt for St. Louis' playoff game against Seattle.

Tennessee quarterback Billy Volek separated his right shoulder after getting hit following a pass in the fourth quarter against Detroit.

"I threw a comeback to (Derrick) Mason and the next thing I know I have a sharp pain and I can't lift my arm," Volek said. "It popped back into place, though."

Volek was making his fifth straight start in place of Steve McNair, who has missed most of the season with a sternum injury.

Also, San Francisco receiver Cedrick Wilson broke his left leg against New England.

In Baltimore, Ray Lewis was inactive for the Ravens' game against Miami because of a broken right wrist. The star linebacker injured his wrist two weeks ago against Indianapolis but still played against Pittsburgh last Sunday. Lewis broke his wrist again against the Steelers and did not practice during the week.

It was interesting hearing the commentators addressing Bill Parcells' statement about Keyshawn's injury where he said something along the lines of "Well, he's getting his knee operated on this week anyway, so he can get both done at the same time" as if it was no big deal.

I didn't realize Corey Chavous broke his elbow in yesterday's game. Ouch.

Archived