Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder hardly mentioned this year.

Zuck

What a change. I guess he was kind of silent during Marty's time here. This year he was even quieter though. When Marty was here Snyder started making noise as soon as the season was over. I don't think that will happen this year. Snyder will do as he is told for once.

I actually like the guy though. He really wants the team to win. It would be much worse having an owner like in San Francisco where they are only concerned with profits. I just don't think he has a very good football mind.

Snyder has actually been the one area of strength this team has consistently had. The weakness has been in other areas of the team. This year, for example, if you were to rate the performance of our owner, GM and head coach, you'd rate the head coach last by a LONG margin. Same with the last couple of years to be certain.

The fortunate part is the failure in coaching was a failure you can envision being overcome given how it came about and who it is.

Calling the coaching a "failure" is accurate, but does not really paint a true picture.

Coach Gibbs had a rough start to the season, and made an unfortunate choice for QB.

Who would ever have guessed that Brunell would have turned out to be the colossal bust that he turned out to be? No one. Even though many did not think we needed Brunell, no one guessed that he would have the problems he had.

But that is beside the point, really. The point is Gibbs.

Gibbs was rusty at the beginning of the season, no doubt about that. A few times when they showed sideline shots of Gibbs at the beginning of the season, he did not look comfortable. Plays were coming in slow, he was confused, and used poor judgement in clock management.

But he adjusted. The team practiced getting the plays in faster. It was not just rhetoric, and a "maybe we should try this" kind of thing.

The last few games of the season, Gibbs was in control on the sideline. Yesterday, they showed Gibbs on the sideline, and what I saw made my heart jump. I could see by the look on Gibbs face, he was finally back. The saddle is his, and he is in it. He looked confident and in control.

The season ended too soon.

Woofer,

I agree with you completely here. Gibbs did largely show great signs of rust early and you could clearly see great signs of improvement throughout the year. More than that, any particular area of obvious weakness in one game was worked on so that the NEXT game it was an area of improvement.

We may not have always maintained that improvement but we achieved it in the short term and in the long term those concentrated sessions should pay dividends for us. I have no problem with the coaching failure of Gibbs this year because it was something largely to be expected, if not quite to the degree we saw.

He was a coach without a playbook until MARCH of this year. He couldn't possibly have things second nature to him at all for most of the year if he even does NOW. What he needed was time to start getting through to the team and start getting his feel again and he started getting through to the team and he started getting his feel back again.

I think this is a good failure to have considering the reasonable expectation that it isn't something that will be repetitive.

Originally posted by Art

Woofer,

I agree with you completely here. Gibbs did largely show great signs of rust early and you could clearly see great signs of improvement throughout the year. More than that, any particular area of obvious weakness in one game was worked on so that the NEXT game it was an area of improvement.

We may not have always maintained that improvement but we achieved it in the short term and in the long term those concentrated sessions should pay dividends for us. I have no problem with the coaching failure of Gibbs this year because it was something largely to be expected, if not quite to the degree we saw.

He was a coach without a playbook until MARCH of this year. He couldn't possibly have things second nature to him at all for most of the year if he even does NOW. What he needed was time to start getting through to the team and start getting his feel again and he started getting through to the team and he started getting his feel back again.

I think this is a good failure to have considering the reasonable expectation that it isn't something that will be repetitive.

Absolutely. You nailed it.

I just have a hard time with having Gibbs and the word "failure" in the same breath. Doesn't feel natural.

The biggest difference between Gibbs first term and now, is he was in football before.

This time, he was in NASCAR. You just can't find many relevent parallels between racing and football.

You and I both know, Gibbs will fix what is wrong.

Like you say in your sig - "Doom is in the Box".

Archived