Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please Read

People, can we please stop squawking about Clinton Portis vs. Ladell Betts here?!? I mean, yeah we all agree we have Portis' backup (well at least that's the concensus I get) but can we have at least a night to enjoy the win? D*mn we went out and played our a$$es off and almost kept Minny out of the playoffs again.

Again, no disrespect to Ladell (great effort today in lieu of CP), but Portis is the man and let's all take a breath here and enjoy ourselves for the moment. :cheers:

I wonder if Clinton would be around next year if it weren't for the salary cap? I'm with almost everyone else when I say getting rid of him would be stupid, or that we should start Betts based on what is essentially a one game break out. But the way Gibbs runs things, Portis doesn't seem like the ideal fit. I was waiting to see if Gibbs was going to adjust the offense this year to cater to Portis this year, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sometimes it seems we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with Portis as our back

Sarge, I gotta agree with you here. If we did not sign Portis to that big contract, we would have kept him still. However, it does seem likely Gibbs likes Betts more. Odd really, however, Im sure Portis will adapt his style next season.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Sarge, I gotta agree with you here. If we did not sign Portis to that big contract, we would have kept him still. However, it does seem likely Gibbs likes Betts more. Odd really, however, Im sure Portis will adapt his style next season.

My only question is.............

Can he adapt to Gibbs system? Is he physical enough to go up the gut and get the hard yards on a consistant basis?

Originally posted by Sarge

My only question is.............

Can he adapt to Gibbs system? Is he physical enough to go up the gut and get the hard yards on a consistant basis?

I dont think he has to. I think this coming offseason Gibbs will go the the drawing board with his running game because he knows what kinda talent he has in CP. At least I hope this happens.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Wrong! Gibbs oughta adapt HIS style. Players shouldn't be adapting to the system, coaches should be adapting the system to the players they have. For instance if we had Brett Favre you're saying he would stop being a gun slinger and risk taker so that Joe Gibbs can run his offense? It's the same thing for Clinton Portis...he should change his running style to fit the offense? He's too talented for that...maxmize HIS talents.

Originally posted by mookie0720

Wrong! Gibbs oughta adapt HIS style. Players shouldn't be adapting to the system, coaches should be adapting the system to the players they have. For instance if we had Brett Favre you're saying he would stop being a gun slinger and risk taker so that Joe Gibbs can run his offense? It's the same thing for Clinton Portis...he should change his running style to fit the offense? He's too talented for that...maxmize HIS talents.

I know you don't remeber any of our most recent Super Bowls, which aren't really all that recent anymore, but Joe Gibbs system won those games and a lot of others while he was here last time.

Meanwhile, look up what Joe Washington did with his time with the Skins.

I totally agree with mookie, Gibbs needs to adapt his style to Portis' game. Portis has more talent in his thumb than Betts has period. I agree that maybe with the style of play we are going with right now Betts is better suited but we would be able to reach optimum performance if Gibbs went to a system which suited Portis more. Portis is the guy that is going to put the run game over the top not Betts.

Archived