Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Betts Earns Season's First Start Against Minnesota

bubba9497

Betts Earns Season's First Start Against Minnesota

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A39674-2004Dec31?language=printer

The report on reserve running back Ladell Betts that greeted Coach Joe Gibbs when he arrived at Redskins Park last January was not very favorable. The word in the Redskins' football operations department was that Betts was nothing more than a third-down back. But after watching him for a season Gibbs sees much bigger things.

"He's already shown me a completely different side than what I thought I was going to see from Ladell Betts," Gibbs said.

Betts, who was drafted in the second round of the 2002 draft, will make his first start of the season tomorrow against the Minnesota Vikings, with starting tailback Clinton Portis injured. The powerful runner is well suited to the blocking schemes of the Washington offense and stands to carry the ball at least 25 times, with Rock Cartwright backing him up.

Gibbs has been impressed with Betts's fearlessness and leadership on kick returns and loves how hard he runs with the ball. Betts realizes that a strong performance could leave a lasting impression with the coaches, and he wants to prove he is worthy of more rushes next season. Betts does not have more than 13 carries in a single game and just 64 for the season. He has one 100-yard game in his career and will face one of the NFL's worst rushing defenses tomorrow.

"It's an audition, and I'm definitely going to take advantage of the opportunity, and I'm going to go out there and try to play hard and try to put up some numbers," Betts said.

With Betts starting at running back, Gibbs said Antonio Brown, James Thrash and Cartwright will split kick return duties.

Clemons Is a Keeper

The Redskins let reserve linebacker Chris Clemons get away once, but it's unlikely they will do so again. Clemons has become the latest in a long list of unheralded players to make an impact on defense this season, and he is expected to fill a bigger role next season. The Redskins were enthused with his preseason play and hoped to use him as a rush end along with linebacker LaVar Arrington on third downs.

Clemons was frequently injured in training camp, and rather than put him on injured reserve and force him to sit out the entire season, the Redskins gambled and released him. Clemons signed with Cleveland's practice squad but was released and re-signed by Washington Nov. 24. Since then the 6-foot-3, 234-pounder, who originally was signed as an undrafted free agent in April 2003, has three sacks in five games despite modest playing time.

"He's proven us to be correct on our assumption that he can play this game, and play it well," defensive coordinator Greg Blache said. "We were lucky enough to get him back."

Tice-Gibbs Reunion

Sunday's game will be special for both head coaches involved. Minnesota Coach Mike Tice was a player for Gibbs in 1989 and was later cut by the Hall of Fame Redskins coach.

"I try to approach some of the things I do as a head coach the way Coach Gibbs did when I played for him for a brief time," Tice said.

Gibbs suggested that he should pilfer Tice's plays, with the Vikings atop the NFL in offense and Washington in a season-long slumber. When the Redskins were struggling early in the season, Tice called Gibbs to wish him well. "He gave me a few tips on some things that they were doing in practice and everything," Gibbs said. "I really appreciated him doing that." . . . Gibbs said he expects cornerback Shawn Springs (concussion) to play but linebacker Marcus Washington (knee) will be a game-time decision.

Archived