Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Experts..need help

afparent

ok, i am not in any way shape or form, a computer expert so bear with me.

here is my dilemma.

i bougth a computer cam. After loading the software, i am told i need to insert microsoft word 98 version 2 cd-rom. Apparently my computer with version 1 does not have a certain file.

my question is; is there anything else i can do without buying the version 2 cd-rom?

thanks

Originally posted by jenmdixon

afparent, do you mean the Windows 98 cd-rom? If so, what was the file it was looking for - did it say?

Yes, the cd-rom. I am at work now, but yes it is looking for a specific file. I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Basically what happens is after I download the software and it tells me to put in the cam, a window pops up telling me to put in the 98 version 2 software because it is looking for that specific file.

You must be running Win 98 SE (Second Edition). Just find the CD's for your operating system (e.g. the Windows 98 CD), and put them in the CDROM drive. Either the program you are trying to install will automatically look for the missing file on the CDROM, or you can browse the CD and look for the file yourself.

Originally posted by herrmag

You must be running Win 98 SE (Second Edition). Just find the CD's for your operating system (e.g. the Windows 98 CD), and put them in the CDROM drive. Either the program you are trying to install will automatically look for the missing file on the CDROM, or you can browse the CD and look for the file yourself.

The only CD rom I have is apparently the first version and it couldn't find the file on that one

Originally posted by afparent

The only CD rom I have is apparently the first version and it couldn't find the file on that one

You can always try going to Microsoft's site and seeing if you can download that specific file. I'm assuming the file you are missing has a ".dll" file extension. Is this correct? If so, this problem is more common than you think, and you may even be able to find the appropriate file by doing a google search. Perhaps someone else on the board has a better idea, but I've had to do that in the past.

Originally posted by herrmag

You can always try going to Microsoft's site and seeing if you can download that specific file. I'm assuming the file you are missing has a ".dll" file extension. Is this correct? If so, this problem is more common than you think, and you may even be able to find the appropriate file by doing a google search. Perhaps someone else on the board has a better idea, but I've had to do that in the past.

you are correct....it does have a .dll extension. I downloaded the new real player which supposedly had the file but that didn't work either.

Originally posted by afparent

you are correct....it does have a .dll extension. I downloaded the new real player which supposedly had the file but that didn't work either.

You probably need to download that dll file seperate so that when you get to that point where the install asks for the file you can point to where you downloaded it. Either that or browse to the folder where real player is and select it from there during install.

Originally posted by Trevor

You probably need to download that dll file seperate so that when you get to that point where the install asks for the file you can point to where you downloaded it. Either that or browse to the folder where real player is and select it from there during install.

thanks, I will try it.

Write down the name of the needed file and do a search for it on your computer. It is possible you have it already installed, but you just need to point the prompt that asks for the file to the correct location. And I bet it'd be in the Windows/System or Windows/System32 directories, if you wanted to try pointing the prompt to that direction.

But, if your computer does not have this file that is being requested, and you do not have the OS CDs, then do a google search for the file, download it, and place it in the appropriate directory. (If it is a .dll, most likely in your System or System 32 directory, again.)

And if it is a .dll, make sure you register it via Run>regsvr32 Name or pathway to file, such as regsvr32 C:\windows\system\DLL filename, then the file will be registered.

Archived