Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CowBoys Woodson to Retire!

afparent

After missing season, Cowboys' Woodson to retire

Dec. 28, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys are ready to bid farewell to Darren Woodson, the last player left from their teams that won three Super Bowls in the mid-1990s.

The 35-year-old safety hasn't played all year because of injuries and was expected to retire or be released after this season. Team owner Jerry Jones said on his weekly radio show it's only a question of "when we and he will make it official." Coach Bill Parcells said Monday an announcement was coming as soon as this week.

Woodson, a four-time All-Pro, delivered punishing hits and is the team's career leader in tackles with 1,350. He was a rookie on the 1992 squad that won Dallas' first Super Bowl of the Jones era. He also was a key player on the 1993 and '95 teams.

Woodson had back surgery three days before training camp. His recovery was hampered by a nerve problem that prevented him from even returning to practice.

His absence forced Roy Williams to be used differently and the Cowboys to rely on projected backups Tony Dixon and Lynn Scott. Dallas allowed the fewest yards in the NFL last season with Woodson. The Cowboys have plummeted to 21st this season.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8043431

"I think you saw the impact on our defense this year," Jones said.

I hate that his career had to end b/c of injury, he was a great saftey and from everything I've read/heard, a pretty classy guy. You could just see the impact that his absence had on the Dallas defense this year. I guess they'll have to find someone else to step up into the leadership role on that side of the ball, I actually think that Roy Williams was asking him for advice on the sidelines during our game with them this past Sunday. Tough competitor, great player.

I hate to sound like a 8th grade girl, but...

Pssssshhhh!

Feel bad for the guy? No way. He was on the outs of his overwhelmingly successful career in which he won THREE rings. That's not accomplished by many. He enjoyed great fan support and respect throughout the league... even by Skins fans. No way do I feel bad that he goes out this way. Most guys do.

Archived