Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Learning A New System?Yeah,Right.

bwall-2

This "give it time, there learning a new system"thing has run its course.How long is it gonna take these Million dollar professional football players to learn football plays?Is it just me who feel that our guys seem to grasp new systems slower than just about every other team?

I live in the Buffalo market,so I can comment on this.The Bills have a bad O-Line,an over-the hill QB,a RB comming off major knee surgery and ok recievers,They also have a new coaching staff.Therefor,they're learning,correction,LEARNED a new system.Look at there offensive production and look at our.It's night and day.

I think it's time for us to face it,if these guys hasn't figured out the system yet,they're never gonna figure it out.

I'd say there is a somewhat universal rule in the NFL that says the "learning a new system" excuse is good for one year.

After one season in an offense, expectations need to be raised as does productivity. I think for this season, Gibbs new system is a legitimate excuse, obviously next year though if the offensive futility continues you'll have to look at either the players or the system itself.

Originally posted by terpfan

Isnt the Bills Head Coach in his very first year? Isnt that kind of similiar?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he was coaching football in some capacity just last year? As an assistant coach?

Isn't that a bit different from being in Nascar for 11 years with absolutely no connection to football?

If the players aren't a good fit for the system, then maybe the "system" needs to cater to the talents of the players, rather than attempting to force a square peg into a circular hole.

This needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Originally posted by Drex

If the players aren't a good fit for the system, then maybe the "system" needs to cater to the talents of the players, rather than attempting to force a square peg into a circular hole.

This needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Very good point.

This is borderline comical, and downright sad at the same time. You're right, if they don't get a brand new system in one season, then there is definitely something wrong. After all, it only took PIttsburgh ONE SEASON with Cowher to become good. Oh, and San Diego was able to do it in ONE SEASON. Oh wait, no they didn't. I guess Pittsburgh should've fired Cowher a long time ago, right? :rolleyes:

Yall keep arguing Mularkeys been around and not away. Well, if I'm not mistaken it shouldn't matter Gibbs is a damn hall of fame coach. He shouldn't just forget how to do it, It is what he is...

The game as changed alot from when Gibb's coached.

yes he is a hall of Fame coach.

Does he sholulder some of the blame for this year, yes.

That being said I will take Joe Gibbs anyday of Mike whatever his name is.

BTW if you think the Bills are so great why don't you go take up space on their message board.

Originally posted by herrmag

This is borderline comical, and downright sad at the same time. You're right, if they don't get a brand new system in one season, then there is definitely something wrong. After all, it only took PIttsburgh ONE SEASON with Cowher to become good. Oh, and San Diego was able to do it in ONE SEASON. Oh wait, no they didn't. I guess Pittsburgh should've fired Cowher a long time ago, right? :rolleyes:

What about the "boy I hate saying this"the Cowboys of last year,or the Bengles in Marvin Lewis' first year.Hell,even the Giants would of been in the thick of things this year if Coughlin would not changed QBs.

Either way it shouldn't be that hard for our recievers and backs to learn the offense when all of our plays go no longer than 5-10 yards and we have about 8 different routes. If they could learn Spurrier's offense they can damn sure learn the pee wee offense we run right now.

Gibb's offense is more complicated in regards to not only players needing to know the plays(routes, assignments, etc), but exact timing and almost exact execution is also required, meaning Ramsey has an exact timing window to throw the ball. Where Spurrier's system, from what some players said, the routes where difficult to learn, but once learned, was an easy offense and the ball was thrown after the WR reached a certain area of the field.

Ramsey commented in pre-season that he never was in a system before that he threw before the receiver made his last break, which seems elementry, but I think he may have meant to the degree Gibbs' likes.

Remember when Gibbs said he had to simplify the offense earlier in the year? - I beleive it was because not all areas were being successfully executed.

All the while players are trying to adapt to the new system, Gibbs is trying to adapt to changes as well and make both sides fit.

Archived