Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disappointing Loss

On the heels of the latest Cowboys debacle, I was talking today with my future father-in-law (also a lifelong 'Skins fan) about the toughest loss we've seen. Since I'm only 28 I can only go back to the early 80's at best so maybe some of the fellow extremers know of others...

Here's mine: 1986 NFC Championship against the Giants. Although the Giants were clearly the best in that football season, what would've happened IF Gary Clark cathces those two Schroeder bombs? The 17-0 loss was tough on me as a 10 year old, but luckily for us all, the very next season we were introduced to Timmy Smith and Doug Williams...

:point2sky

Originally posted by afparent

1979 last game of the season....playoffs on the line....

we lost 35-34. I think the score tells it all

oh I forgot the kicker....it was against Dallas

Yep...by far the most disappointing, we were really coming on at the end of the season, I thought we would be a favorite for the Superbowl once the playoffs started. The fact that we had 17-0 and 34-21 leads made it bad, but the fact that Mosely probably would have made that record breaking FG if he got the shot was even worse.

The 84 loss to the Bears felt worse than the Giant loss to me. That was a game we should have won, they were not the 85 Bears yet and they started a backup QB.

Oh...and that bull**** loss to the Cardinals by a phantom TD catch in '76 (or was it '77?) was pretty bad too. I wanted replay so much after that game.

The MNF games vs Dallas a couple years back. We're winning and all we have to do is run the clock out. Stephen Davis fumbles, Dallas gets the ball back and wins.

That was my most dissapointing loss, That and the Orioles 1991 (I think that's the right year)season--after being up 12 games to Toronto the Blue jays knocked the O's out and went on to win the world series

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

Being only 23 this loss and the 1999 playoff game when we lost to tampa on a botched field goal snap as being the most diappointing loss for me!!

The TB loss didn't kill me too bad because I thought we had a good season and we had such a bright future....but then we had to get the Fantasy team and blow up any chemistry we had

35-34 in 79 KNOCKS us out the playoffs I thought it was over when JR went for 80 yards but Roger stole the game back. I dont like losing to the Cowgirls but we will draft higher then them now & we out played them again for what it's worth. All the cowboy fans were gone by the time they won the game it was for bragging rights only.

Originally posted by TXREDSKINS44

Being only 23 this loss and the 1999 playoff game when we lost to tampa on a botched field goal snap as being the most diappointing loss for me!!

I'm young as well, and I agree the 1999 playoff loss hurt the most. We had control of that game until Bad Johnson threw that interception. Then the botched snap by the late Dan Turk. That was tough to take.

I've been a Skins fan for a very long time. All the losses are rough. To be honest, this loss ranks up there with the loss

to the Raiders in the Superbowl.

I don't know why, but this loss really stung. It's been a hard

one to get over. I haven't even read the local paper this week.

Yep riggins44 hit it. This loss to Dallas this week and the loss to the Raiders in the Super Bowl. This one to Dallas because we had it won and lost it so late in such dramatic fashion. The Raiders because it was the Super Bowl and our chance to win it back-to-back. Had we done that and then won the 87 Super Bowl as well, we would have been the team of the decade and maybe the Hogs would be getting more respect now in HoF voting.

Originally posted by riggins44

I've been a Skins fan for a very long time. All the losses are rough. To be honest, this loss ranks up there with the loss

to the Raiders in the Superbowl.

I don't know why, but this loss really stung. It's been a hard

one to get over. I haven't even read the local paper this week.

Same here. 35-34 will always top my list, and the 99 game is right up there too, but this one really REALLY stings. Odd considering it was a meaningless game between two lousy teams. I think it's because, well, I thought we'd finally turned a corner. The last few weeks we were beating up on bad teams, hanging with good teams, and he last thing to do this season, to prove we weren't the same old Redskins, was beat the Cowboys.

Still can't do it. Still the same old Redskins. And THAT ... that's what really stings.

Archived