Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys vs. Skins Poker Part II

Qcard

Previously,

Cowboys vs. Redskins - Offseason poker posted on April-15th-2002 09:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your move Synder.

It si no surprise Jerry Jones is trying to solidify our defense. So far he has signed 2 sack generating Pro Bowlers and a shut down ProBowl corner(whe3n Healthy), couple that with either Jammer or Roy Williams we may have something here.

Having cap room is a luxury, Synder hiring Steve Spurrier made Jerry's mision this offseason very evident and simple: Get to the QB and shut down the opposing teams best receiver.

I noticed Synder is courting Jeremiah Trotter. Our success against the Redskins starts with Emmitt having a big day. Signing Trotter will go a long way in trying to stop Emmitt.

Going into the offseason, Trotter and Glover where the marquee free agents until Trotter got tagged. As a Cowboy fan I hope the Skins get into a bidding war with the Texans and GreenBay hiking the price.

Well the ball is in your court, I can't wait to see what trick Synder has up his sleeve.

There never was a rivarly in the 90's, unless you were the 49ers or Packers

Lets see.

1. Jerry Jones had just signed Kevin Hardy and it was Daniels Synders turn.

2. Big splash just before the draft :

Redskins sign 2 time All Pro MLB. Redskins arguably one of the best LB tandem in NFL history on paper. Jerry Turn.

3. Jerry Jones orchestrates arguably the Best draft for the Cowboys in the last 5-8 years on paper. Jerry's counter move to the Redskins signing of Jeremiah Trotter-Drafts the best blocking FB Jamar Martin and arguably the best Guard Andre Gurode. Plus a big playmaking WR to stretch and spread opposing Defenses.

As it stands Danny boy still has the ACE (Marvin Lewis) in his hand. Jerry still has some tricks up his sleeve.

P.s. Rumour Rumour.

Just before the draft(Friday)on the Bill Mass radio show in Kansas City, Bill Maas reported that Tony Gonzales and Dick Vermeil are not getting along. TG is mad about the Franchise Tag put on him ala Trotter. Maas stated his sources believe the Cowboys and Chiefs are in the preliminary stages of a trade that would bring TG to Dallas for a high draft pick. The draft came and went (of course I almost choked when the trade between Dallas and Kansas almost went south). Now the rumour involves Dallas's next year 1st pick. The trade rumours heated up after Dallas did not trade up with their early 2nd and extra 3rd to get one of the marquee TE in the draft.

Stay tuned for:

Part III

Daniel Snyder had a very productive draft. Taking a 5'8" CB in the 3rd round really solidified the 2ndary.

The Gonzo trade talks are just rumors. Cowboys really want to give up next year's 1st rounder for Champ Bailey.

:laugh:

Eddie

The Gonzo trade talks are just rumors. Cowboys really want to give up next year's 1st rounder for Champ Bailey.

Eddie

It's great to have a stud MLB, but when that MLB contract brings about -Who should we resign Champ Bailey or Jon Jansen?- It's hard stomach. Trotter better stay healthy and very very productive for about 3-4 seasons or Danny boy will feel the wrath ala Galloway and Jerry Jones.

QCard,

The Hardy move was more like the Armstead move than the Trotter move. Trotter is immediately the best player with the biggest upside either team has picked up this offseason.

But, in your tortured move/counter-move theory of the offseason, it is impossible to call your draft a counter move to the Trotter signing because, hey, at the same time you were making your "counter" the Redskins were selecting 10 players, the most in team history, in the draft too.

I like very much what Dallas did on the first day of the draft. Less on the second day, but, the first day made the Cowboys draft. A Tony Gonzalez move would be a counter to Trotter. It'd be on the same scale and cause similar heart flutters. Your draft being conducted at the same time our draft was is not a counter. It's not even a move. It's a draft.

I don't think Champ wants to play on that garbage turf you guys use as a field.

I also doubt he'll play for less than the best CB contract in the league. Does Danny Boy have another 7-10 million Signing Bonus to dish out to Champ Bailey. Maybe he does. But Jon Jansen, Chris Samuels and Lavars contracts are coming up in the next 3 seasons. Your team better have a Superbowl or two by 2005 or your great drafting from '97-'01 will go to waste. The nucleus will be significantly depleted.

Qcard,

Glad you showed up and could break away from sweeping up those buffalo chips out on the range. :lol:

I got some questions for you about ex-Cowboy players. I was thinking maybe the Skins could sign a couple as backups, like TE David LaFleur and WR Jason Tucker.

I know the Cowpukes released these guys last year because of injury concerns, but Tucker looked like an up and coming player a couple years ago. Is either of these guys capable of playing again? I know you have a lot of inside knowledge on the Cowpuke players. So what have you heard about these two players? :?:

Art,

QCard is reading too much into this. He's a good guy but living in Washington DC can do that to a person.

:puke:

There will be no counter move. Jerry Jones WILL NOT give up any draft picks for Gonzo. Bruce Coslet wants a power forward at TE ... Gonzo is not a power forward.

The Cowboys signed Woody Dantzler from South Dakota. Redskins better watch out!!!

:cool:

Eddie

Snyder's football team makes more money than any other team in the league. Snyder also has more cash than any owner in the league. Champ will get at least a $10 million bonus and Snyder will smile and say, "Redskin for life my friend." You need not worry about the Redskins having cash to pay out for signing bonus money. Besides, Marty saved Snyder $27 million he tried to spend last year. He's got a war chest above his normal war chest :).

inmate running the asylum Qcard,

Glad you showed up and could break away from sweeping up those buffalo chips out on the range.

I got some questions for you about ex-Cowboy players. I was thinking maybe the Skins could sign a couple as backups, like TE David LaFleur and WR Jason Tucker.

I know the Cowpukes released these guys last year because of injury concerns, but Tucker looked like an up and coming player a couple years ago. Is either of these guys capable of playing again? I know you have a lot of inside knowledge on the Cowpuke players. So what have you heard about these two players?

Funny you asked, David Lafleur was on Unscripted (ESPN) with David Connelly this past weekend. David Lafleur is involved in the Magnetic Resonance Machine business. David vehemntly stated that his football days are over. Lafleur played the entire 2000 & '01 season in pain. Even after pain killing and corteson(sp) injections could not subside the pain in his bulging lower back

disk.

Jason Tucker came on late in the 1999 season after Irvin went down. He complimented Ismail very well. I can't really recall when it happened but he surfered a turf toe injury. The same injury that ended or diminished Deion Sanders career. He was cut by Dallas and I have not heard anything else about him. Jason Tucker can probably play, but a WR depends mostly on his speed and cutting ability, Jason young career may have been over before he actually got a chance to build on his solid 98&99 season.

Art

1.Snyder's football team makes more money than any other team in the league.2. Snyder also has more cash than any owner in the league. Champ will get at least a $10 million bonus and Snyder will smile and say, "Redskin for life my friend." You need not worry about the Redskins having cash to pay out for signing bonus money. Besides, Marty saved Snyder $27 million he tried to spend last year. He's got a war chest above his normal war chest .

Art I am calling you out please prove the following statements above

I have listed numbers besides the opinion you have stated. IT will go along way negating your BLIND HOMERISM

Originally posted by NavyDave

Cowboy fans should never talk about prison sentences especially with the ongoing litigation involving Jerrah and his current cowpoke in pinstripes to be Demetrius Underwood :laugh:

Pinstripes? Thunderwood doesn't play for the Yankees.

Plus, there was no proof. The lady is a capper looking for a quick million.

Jerrah is involved because he has deep pockets.

And NO, Nate Newton was NOT planning on distributing 500 lbs. of pot. Look at him, he's 330 lbs ... it was for personal use.

Eddie

QCard,

The Hardy move was more like the Armstead move than the Trotter move. Trotter is immediately the best player with the biggest upside either team has picked up this offseason.

I DISAGREE (Nothing New)

There is no doubt in my mind that Jeremiah Trotter is a stud and has more upside than kevin Hardy. Why? I could find only 2 reasons health and age. Kevin Hardy was enroute to his second ProBowl when he got injured last year after 9 games. What jumps out is he had 5 sacks before the knee injury.

The reason why I compare these 2 players is based on the significant need that their respective teams acquired.

1. The Skins rushing defense was at best average. They yielded 116.8 yards rushing per game. The Redskins want to improve on shutting running games down thus signing Reynaldo Wynn. All in all Trotter was just a plus in pursuit of dominance.

2. Dallas signed Glover to generate pressure and accumulate sacks. Our 4th ranked defense was void of playmakers. They were all solid contributors. Dallas had a pathetic 24 sack total, thus Glover. kevin hardy is a pass rushing LB plays both weak and strong. Our linebacking core of Dat Coakley and Steele were sufficient but Jerry wanted more playmaking ability thus Kevin Hardy who has 28 sacks in 6 seasons. Almost 5 sacks per season from the LB spot. That is productivity my friend. All in All Hardy was just a plus in pursuit of dominance.

But, in your tortured move/counter-move theory of the offseason, it is impossible to call your draft a counter move to the Trotter signing because, hey, at the same time you were making your "counter" the Redskins were selecting 10 players, the most in team history, in the draft too.

I can play and back it up too ART.

In your tortured "my opinion is fact theory" you fail to realize teams are constantly making moves/counter- moves in the draft based on what teams in their division have. The Packer's Ron Wolf drafted 3 Big DBs in 1999 draft to combat Randy Moss and Chris carter in his division. This year Andy Reid drafted #Dbs in hopes of having depth in match ups against the Rams and in future the Skins. It would be stupid for any GM to predicate their draft on the divisional foes drafts when they are unknown prospects on a NFL level, especially in this day and age of busts. Furthermore your draft was void of any IMPACT PLAYERS. There was no significant draftee amongst your players drafted to make any GMs in the NFC East re-adjust their WAR room posture. Therefore unless Danny Boy found a gem your draft picks will not worry any GM in our division for the next 2-3 years. REMEMBER I LIVE IN THIS AREA. MANY AREA COLUMNISTS, RADIO HOSTS AND FANS CONSIDER JEREMIAH TROTTER THEIR 1ST PICK IN THIS YEARS DRAFT. DON'T YOU LOVE STEVE SCEBAN(sp)

I like very much what Dallas did on the first day of the draft. Less on the second day, but, the first day made the Cowboys draft.

So do 99% of the draft "GURUs", but who cares because if Roy Williams is a bust then the "GURUS" will play the next record "Safety should never have gone that high"

A Tony Gonzalez move would be a counter to Trotter. It'd be on the same scale and cause similar heart flutters. Your draft being conducted at the same time our draft was is not a counter. It's not even a move. It's a draft.

Nope again

The Skins did not necessarily need Trotters services. He was an upgrade. The reason why Dallas draft was so successfu was because not only did we get value with out first 5 picks we also addressed needs with out reaching. TE is a need plus Gonzales will be value. Assuming they get the deal done it will by far ecslipse the Trotter signing because it fits right into where the successful draft left us hanging - searching for a starting TE.

Archived