Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington Returns to Practice; Daniels Placed on IR

afparent

Arrington Returns to Practice; Daniels Placed on IR

Associated Press

Wednesday, December 8, 2004; 5:47 PM

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington practiced Wednesday for the first time since his knee surgery in September.

Arrington worked mostly with the scout team and left the practice early for treatment. He was listed as questionable for Sunday's game against Philadelphia, although coach Joe Gibbs was pessimistic that Arrington would play.

"You don't want to say never, but I think it would be hard," Gibbs said.

The three-time Pro Bowl linebacker was injured when he took an awkward step in the season-opening victory over Tampa Bay. He played the following week against the New York Giants, but had surgery a few days later to repair torn cartilage after the knee started to swell. He was slow to heal because of a bone bruise that wasn't discovered until he aggravated the knee while running in late October.

The Redskins' defense has played extremely well in 10 games without Arrington. Lemar Marshall, who had never started an NFL game, has quietly and efficiently filled in at the weak side linebacker spot for a defense ranked No. 2 in the league.

Meanwhile, another opening day defensive starter, defensive end Phillip Daniels, had his season officially come to an end when he was placed on injured reserve.

Daniels dislocated a bone in his left wrist in Sunday's game against the New York Giants. He signed a five-year, $11 million contract as a free agent in March, but he played in just five games because of a groin injury.

Defensive lineman Cedric Killings was signed to fill Daniels' roster spot. Killing spent training camp with the Redskins before being released in September. Also, linebacker Billy Strother was signed to the practice squad.

Defensive end Demetric Evans, who has four starts this season, was ruled out for the Eagles game with a hairline fracture in his leg.

www.washingtonpost.com

Tony Bracken's home is very close to me here in Texas.

I know him and his family very well.

I have not seen him this year....so I don't know if he is back here from Florida or not.

I will try to talk to his mom and see what his thoughts are for playing again.

Blondie

Ok, Comcast sports said his practice went very well. He will practice in pads tomorrow. Lavar was psyched...couldn't sleep well last night. Gibbs said he did well, moved around good. Lavar said he felt pretty good!!

also, they flew Mark Rypien from Washington state to speak to the team today

Originally posted by Blondie

Tony Bracken's home is very close to me here in Texas.

I know him and his family very well.

I have not seen him this year....so I don't know if he is back here from Florida or not.

I will try to talk to his mom and see what his thoughts are for playing again.

Blondie

Wow. That's extremely helpful. That completely came from left field. But it's still cool. :cool:

Originally posted by afparent

Ok, Comcast sports said his practice went very well. He will practice in pads tomorrow. Lavar was psyched...couldn't sleep well last night. Gibbs said he did well, moved around good. Lavar said he felt pretty good!!

you see that!? and people think we should GET RID of this guy!?

psshh Sh*t.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! :point2sky :notworthy :notworthy :logo: :cool:

I know this may sound trivial, but if he is healthy enough to play, then the decision could be based on who will be inactive. Do we put a pivotal special teams player on inactive just so Lavar can play a few plays. That will be the question.

no, you deactivate one of our olineman...i have a strong feeling that LA is going to play this weekend!!:fingersx:

Redskins would love to have him for the game Sunday I'm sure, but they probably would love to have him play next season more. However, being that Lavar is the best source of info on how he's feeling, I'm guessing he just may be seen on Sunday. Maybe comes down to a "game time decision".

I think we should hold him back a week. Make him active only in case of emergency. He must be getting better by the day so a whole week will make him that much better for the stretch. This is a big game. I want the person that gives us the best chance to win taking the field. That guy is Marshall so that's who should be playing.

Actually, can do one better. Have to find the articles, but according to Bubba Tyer, Lavar can suffer long term damage from the deep bone bruise should he return too quickly. Hard to imagine a better source and a reason why it would be said if it wasn't true.

would be kickass if hes back , i know people are cautious but its not like he would jump in the starting lineup sunday , just maybe obvious passing downs or something like that ....BUT only IF hes really ready cuz i miss seeing him out there in the worse way but id rather him not risk serious injury ..

Originally posted by bulldog

if the Redskins could get third down from Arrington as a rush end that would make a big difference against McNabb :)

This is what Williams/Gibbs are most likely looking for LA to accomplish on Sunday. Thet will want/need him in a 3rd down rushing role since both Evans and Daniels are gone.

Archived