Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/PFW Summary Bios on Our Picks

bulldog

blurbs on our picks after Ramsey (who I think we are most familiar with):

Betts:

Summary: A good, solid, durable back when he is not trying to get too cute. Lacks special qualities but can be a solid pro if he learns to run north-south instead of east-west.

Bauman:

Summary: If he were 5-11 instead of just under 5-8, he would be a top-round pick, but he is not. Still should make it and contribute as perhaps a third or fourth corner.

Russell:

Summary: Can run through a car wash without getting wet and catches OK, which means he can spread a defense and on occasion make some big plays. However, aside from exceptional speed, he is not special in any other area.

I know there are varying opinions on each player drafted from a multitude of sources, but just a cursory glance at the commentary on some of our picks doesn't fill me with any confidence that we have found any gems as of yet. :gus:

Kinda makes you wonder why SS, Lewis, Vinny, Danny & Mendes don't read those blurbs before effing up our team. Or why the guys who write those blurbs aren't drafting for us instead of SS, Marvin, Danny & Mendes.

Nor does is disqualify them. The Dan bought his way into the warroom, but Mendes, SS, Marvin Lewis and the scouting staff did not. They beat unbelievable odds to rise to the top of their profession. I'll take their analysis and evaluation of talent over that proferred by the 'pundits' and self-appointed gurus both on the air and on the boards 100 times out of 100.

The guys won't always be right, but they've earned to right to try.

well, one could have said the same thing about the Quincy Sanders and Ethan Howell picks in 2000.

the Skins knew something the rest of us didn't about these players..............................

that is one school of thought, OM.

the other is the fact that Betts wasn't mentioned as a possible high round pick because he doesn't have the skills and may have been projected by the Skins a couple of rounds too early.

That may be an unpopular idea but it may be the truth.

What you mean by whether they were "afforded" that right is beyond me. No idea what that means. But it's late, so I may be a bit slow.

Hey, I wouldn't mind knowing the genesis of each pick today, either. Who wouldn't? But is it not perhaps just a tad early to appoint a scapegoat? Assumes much; as in that the picks were, in fact, disastrous and deserving of a scapegoat, and that, assuming this, we know who is/was responsible.

It seems you're quite comfortable taking on the self-appointed guru mantel yourself, my friend. Guess that's just not my style, but please feel free to run with it.

I mean I want to know if Spurrier, Mendes and Marvin Lewis were allowed to make the decisions, which as you correctly point out is a right they have earned.

As for Cerrato being scape goat that was tongue in cheek - I don't like his track record but I hardly feel like the 2000 draft is enough of a sample size for analyzing his ability to recognize talent

I have no interest in assuming any guru mantle, I readily acknowledge in several posts that these players may end up being good, but where does it leave us with a back-up RB and a back-up corner back? My main bone of contention is that we came away with no players you can pencil in to start, and I thought we had the opportunity to.

Yes, bulldog, that's it in a nutshell. It may. That's the key, here.

It "may" mean one thing, or it "may" mean another. "May" is a useful word. That's what I'm after, here. 95% of the posts this evening haven't used "may," though ... they've used "is."

I realize it's a semantic thing, maybe really not all that important to many in the cyberboard scheme of things ... but by golly for some reason I grow weary this evening of the confident knowledge so many have that this braintrust on this evening as it regards to these players doesn't know crap ... or at least half as much as we do.

Or "maybe" I'm just crabby and should go to bed.

where it leaves us is having to go into free agency to fill even more holes at higher prices................unless we pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in rounds 4-7 tomorrow..............

the pick of Betts to me is the most upsetting because while we needed a backup RB with Carter departing we didn't have to go so high at #2 to find a capable replacement.

in my book finding a starting guard or DT comes before finding a backup running back.

And there is no real consensus that Betts is going to be a good pro.

that is what I call a blown opportunity.

If not a guard or DT, how about moving up in round 2 to provide Ramsey with a top shelf wide receiver to grow with?

My question is: Should we not read too much into why SS and Lewis took a hike for a few moments from Dan and then returned, with SS getting interviewed, choosing his words oh so carefully?

I think there was some quiet disagreements surely and enough is enough. Whatever they do, they must overlook that juicy chance for self gratification and stay on course. I saw some skips and there's no way it would have made that much of a difference, if that, at paying these guys the "Rookie" alloted amount predetermined by the league. There money, from my understanding is seperate from the vet's cap.

Too hard for me to figure, so I take it there's less to this draft than meets the eye or this is just plain hogwashing of the draft picks so they can pay the D-linemen and O-Linemen so much less, since we have Samuels, Jansen, and Moore, who would keep a close eye on any linemen picked in the second and what they get as rookies, besides cap constraints for them.

Oh a theory my better half had was that the first 40 or so picks was the best of it. We were looser than ever because we the rest of them are pure gambles, all.

Look

These picks may work out very well.

Betts might turn into a Barry Sanders, making moves that over backs can't. Can change directions on a dime and break the long runs with veteran consistancy.

Bauman might turn into a Special Teams nightmare, making the one on one tackles and being a punt returning guru.

Russell might do the same for our kcik returning team. He and Bauman turn into one of the best "gunners" tandem in the league on special teams.

Or they might totally flop.

Betts never learns to pick a hole and go for it. He continues to run east-west and never matures into a capable every down back.

Bauman's height clearly makes it impossible for him to be anything but a punt returner, but he is not gifted at this either, religating him to ST's duty, which does not garner him a roster spot.

Russell, while very fast, has stone hands and never catches anything. Released in Training Camp.

I say let the guys who are paid to pick players pick them. That's their job. If they saw something in mini camp which told them they don't need O-Line or D-Line help, good for them. I'll let them do their job.

I'm not doubting the Skins front office ability in scouting these players, what I question is why these particular positions were drafted. I'm mainly talking about the RB and CB selections. If the Skins scouts are right and Bauman turns out to be a little stud CB, where does he fit in? Over Champ or Smoot? I don't think so. When your team has a glaring hole at OG and DT, and minor holes at S and DE, why draft the nickel back of the future? I just find it odd that the Skins drafted positions that they have Pro Bowl caliber players in already.

The reason I have this concern is that I listened to Steve Spurrier's entire post 1st round press conference and he mentions OG as the "most pressing" need in the upcoming picks and he goes on to mention grabbing an OG/C type 3 times. Then when the time comes to pick, the Skins go RB, CB, WR? Doesn't make sense. Seems like Spurrier had no real final say in the decisions. He seemed pretty vague about Ramsey as well. In fact, Spurrier has never even met the kid in his life and watched one game tape of him (he states this in the press conference as well) Shows how much he wanted Ramsey. I guess all this just verifies that Snyder had all the final say in the drafting this year and it showed.

I have similar fears but I have to take a wait and see approach, Spurrier is either so open and honest in his dealings that he is easier to read than Jack and Jill, or he is the evil genius. I saw the same thing you saw, and it concerns me, but this is something that will flush itself out over the next couple of weeks and we will find out what exactly was going on. If these were consensus, if not unanimously popular decisions, I think we do need to give the team the benefit of the doubt as Om says, but if this was a situation where Snyder went off half-****ed and did not heed Spurrier when making these decisions, the honeymoon is over and the hand-wringing commences.

If Spurrier has no say at all, then we're in trouble. Snyder SHOULD NOT be making these type of decisions, he simply isn't qualified to. He should stop listening to whatever Jerry Jones is telling him and let the front office he hired do their jobs. I don't believe anyone mentioned Mendes' name, isn't he suppose to be our chief scout or heading the personnel department.

Today was disaster, and how embarassing was it to see Snyder rebuffed at every chance to move up in the draft, when what he obviously needed to do, was stand pat and select Gurode. Now Dallas has him!! :mad:

Every single pick we made was a reach. Ramsey has talent, but I'm not too confident going into a season with 4 QBs who've never started an NFL game.

I don't have a clue why we drafted Betts this early. Not only was it a position that didn't need to addressed at the time, but the player selected was a reach.

All that trading down was wasted on draft picks we didn't need. I was optimistic that all that trading down was going to give us an OG and DT in the first day, we got neither.

Archived