Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Banks of CNNSI quotes source saying Skins cap a mess

jkam

I realize that this article is a few days old but I just found it. An unnamed source (I love those) indicates that Skins cap situation in future years is a mess. That was not my impression, assuming we can do some cutting/restructuring. Banks also insinuates that Danny is behind the Trotter move, essentially against the wishes of others.

"Washington is on the books for $12 million of "dead money" under its salary cap this year, that being cap dollars committed to players who are no longer on the roster. Three players account for almost all of it: Deion Sanders ($5.7 million), Jeff George ($3.182 million) and Mark Carrier ($1.8 million).

Next year, the Redskins are planning for cap purposes to carry about $8 million of dead money. In order to create enough cap room to sign Trotter to a long-term deal, the Redskins will have to either continue with the planned renegotiations of veterans like running back Stephen Davis ($8.9 million cap number in 2003), and defensive ends Marco Coleman ($8.3 million) and Bruce Smith ($6.7 million), or cut a veteran or two. Coleman could be the most likely casualty, meaning the Redskins would be addressing one need position (linebacker) at the expense of another (defensive line).

"Their cap situation is a mess," said one source. "It'd be tough for the Redskins to swing this without making it worse in the coming years.' "

Here is the full link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2002/04/16/banks_insider/

Guys like this have been preaching the Skins cap mess after the Deion and Smith deals, after the Arrington and Samuels deals, the Wilkinson and Stubblefield deals, after having to cut all the dead weight like Shuler, Allen, etc. It's like a neon sign hanging in the bar stating, "Free beer tomorrow." Everybody keeps looking forward to it, but it just isn't happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely useless movie trivia: In the movie The Blues Brothers, the clerk in court county assessors office is played by Stephen Spielberg in a cameo appearance.

My God I've recieved another icon demotion! Navy Dave and bulldog just keep raising the bar. I was a messageboard vet but I keep feeling more and more like a cap casualty. Ah I do digress to my days in the office cube empire abusing internet access.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely useless movie trivia: In Raiders of the Lost Ark the script originally called for a long sword fight scene one on one with Indy, but unfortunately that day Harrison Ford was suffering from diaherra, and couldn't do the scenes. So they just shortened it to Harrison shooting the guy by Harrison's request.

Archived