Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey Interview (Courtesy of Redskins.com)

cfujskins

What kind of payroll should the DC baseball team have  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of payroll should the DC baseball team have

• spend that $$ like danny boy
    • Middle of the road
    • Penny pinchers

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=4425

Ramsey: 'I Understand the Game Better'

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

November 17, 2004

Two days after being named the Redskins' starting quarterback, Patrick Ramsey spoke with Redskins.com about what he's learned this season and the upcoming game against NFC East rival Philadelphia:

Q: Your last NFL start came almost one year ago. What have you learned in the time in between, particularly this year as a backup?

A: "Obviously I'm in a different offense. But I've had a year to watch and learn, and I understand the game better. I'm seeing the field better. That's the big thing for me. The longer you play, the better you see things. Toward the end of the last game [against Cincinnati], I really was feeling very comfortable. Hopefully I'll continue feeling that way this week. I know it's a different opponent and Philadelphia is a great team, but hopefully we can continue to build on that."

Q: What have you learned this year watching from the sidelines?

A: "I feel like I know more of the offense than I did at the conclusion of the preseason. The more you watch, the better you're going to get and the more you're going to recognize as far as what the defense is doing. You're going to become more knowledgeable and more comfortable in the offense."

Q: Are you concerned about putting too much pressure on yourself to lead the passing offense?

A: "You know what, for me, I'm not focusing on proving anything. I have to focus on playing smart, playing within myself and not trying to make every single throw 20 yards downfield. That's something I'm going to work on this week. But I wouldn't say it's on my shoulders. I know it's not going to be, 'Hey, plug Patrick in and the passing game will work.' It's going to be the guys up front blocking and the receivers doing their job blocking and getting open. And that's really what it comes down to."

Q: In adjusting to Joe Gibbs' offense, have you had to pull back from always looking for the big play like you did in last year's offensive scheme?

A: "The big play was emphasized last year, but we're in a different offense now. I think when it's there, you need to make the big play in this offense. But at the same time, you have to be smart with the football, try to move the offense downfield and not take every single shot downfield."

Q: The coaches made it a priority last offseason to focus on pass protection. In the times that you have played this season, can you feel the difference in pass blocking between this year and last year?

A: "Absolutely. In the fourth quarter of the Bengals game, I was telling Derrick Dockery and Chris Samuels that I really felt like I had time to sit back in the pocket, read the defense and try to throw the ball accurately downfield. So in the fourth quarter, I certainly did feel a difference as far as having time to make decisions and complete passes."

Q: How big of a challenge is it to go up to play Philadelphia in your first start?

A: "It's certainly a big challenge. But I think as competitors, we welcome challenges and try to overcome it. What I'm looking for, not for me individually but for us as a team, is to get something going offensively."

Q: You've started two games against the Eagles, both in Philadelphia. What do you remember about those games?

A: "You know, I remember guys playing well around me. Last year, Darnerien [McCants] made a great catch at the end of the game. The previous year, I think it was my first real start after my stint coming in. You prepare so hard for teams like Philadelphia because it presents such a challenge."

Q: Andy Reid told the Washington, D.C., reporters on Wednesday that the Eagles' defense probably knows Patrick Ramsey better than Mark Brunell because they've played against you more. And Reid had praise for you as a quarterback. Do you think the Eagles do know what to expect from Patrick Ramsey?

A: "I think they know what they've seen from me in the past. They may not game-plan off of that, but they would expect that. I've played decently against the Eagles, but we haven't gotten wins, so it means nothing."

Q: You mentioned Darnerien McCants&He's someone who's in a similar situation in that his role could expand this week. You and Darnerien seem to have a good on-field connection. What do you like about him as a receiver?

A: "Darnerien's a big, physical guy. He finds a way to get open. The ball comes to him and he's big enough to snatch it out of the air. He did a really good job last Sunday and hopefully he'll continue to do that the rest of this year."

Q: What do you feel you learned about yourself in the nine weeks of mostly watching from the sidelines? A: "I'm impatient a little bit. But at the same time, I truly believe God has a plan for me as far as this sport and my career. It was my role to be a backup and learn from it and see what happens."

:notworthy AWESOME!!!:cheers:

A: "Absolutely. In the fourth quarter of the Bengals game, I was telling Derrick Dockery and Chris Samuels that I really felt like I had time to sit back in the pocket, read the defense and try to throw the ball accurately downfield. So in the fourth quarter, I certainly did feel a difference as far as having time to make decisions and complete passes."

music to my ears...the boy is feeling comfortable....keep it up line

I really love how he's handled the situation..it started out rough but has ended up perfectly for him.

If I could tell Patrick one thing..it's Poise..Poise..Poise..that's the one thing that seperates the best from the rest other than accuracy of course.

I started to see it in the 4th quarter last game.

Yeah, I hope Patrick would, considering they were rushing 3 and playing a prevent. Our O-line is getting it when it comes to run blocking, but pass blocking is another story. The length Pat holds on to the ball, and the amount those a$$clowns blitz, I think we're in for a long night. I can always hope though.

Originally posted by Mattskins2004

Yeah, I hope Patrick would, considering they were rushing 3 and playing a prevent. Our O-line is getting it when it comes to run blocking, but pass blocking is another story. The length Pat holds on to the ball, and the amount those a$$clowns blitz, I think we're in for a long night. I can always hope though.

Can you please point out one occasion during last Sunday's game where Patrick held the ball too long?

Thanx

Originally posted by cfujskins

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=4425

What I'm looking for, not for me individually but for us as a team, is to get something going offensively."

Regardless of what happens this season, it seems as though this sentiment has been expressed by just about every player interviewed on the 'Skins this year. This is what a "Gibbs" team is all about, and Ramsey is obviously on board :cheers:

I was REALLY impressed with how Ramsey moved around in the pocket and avoided pressure by stepping up on Sunday. I think the holding-the-ball issue seems to have been dealt with, at least it looked that way against the Bengals.

That being said, he DID play infinitely better when the Bengals were sitting back more. I'm hoping that he was just shaking off the rust early, but I'm afraid that he might need tons of time in order to read defenses and throw it in there (at this point).

I'm reserving any judgment until after Sunday's game, and I won't completely judge whether or not Ramsey can be the QB of the future for at least a few games. He showed both sides of the coin against the Bengals, overall not looking bad but throwing WAY too dangerous passes and not completing a high enough percent to keep the ball moving constantly. But I think we'll see an improved QB out there against the Eagles, with the more practice reps and all the new knowledge.

Archived