Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twan Russell Replaces Robert Jones

shamaran

I thought it ironic that Twan Russell is set to take the LB spot vacated by Robert Jones in Miami. Twan was a mid-round pick of the 'Skins in 97 (as I remember). A very good special teams player that didn't get much of a chance at LB. I remember Sam Huff particularly liked him. Of course Sam has a soft spot for all LBs!<br /><br />In this age of freeagency, what goes around, comes around.<br /> <br /> [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Die Hard ]

The Dolphins have had a fair number of ex-Redskins on their roster over the past few years........Matt Turk, Leslie Shepherd, Twan Russell, Rich Owens...........

And what has been frustrating to watch is in the case of Owens and Russell, the Dolphins have gotten much better performances out of them than Norv and his staff were able to.

Some players are simply late bloomers. Although they have natural ability, many need a few years of being around the pro game to see how it works and what's required, including the conditioning.

It just takes a couple years for the light to "click" on.

Unfortunately, teams can't afford to keep too many of these developmental players on the active roster anymore.

"in the case of Owens and Russell, the Dolphins have gotten much better performances out of them than Norv and his staff were able to"

Russell, probably. Owens, no way. Ritchie Redskin played extremely well when he was here. 10 1/2 sacks one year if I'm not mistaken. In Miami, I don't even think he starts.

Owens was signed by Kansas City and is now with Dick Vermeil.

Yes, Owens had 11 sacks here one year but as we all saw he was a situational player at 265 pounds that had trouble stopping the run.

In Miami he had bulked up to 280 and was a starter in Jimmy's last year with the club. He was able to stand up in the run game a lot better and still delivered good sack totals, getting 8 or 9 in 1999.

Last year he fell out of favor with Dave Wannstedt and this is reflected in his move to KC without being made an offer by the Dolphins.

I think he is a player who still has some gas left in the tank and should team with Eric Hicks to give the Chiefs some good play at DE.

In Washington, Owens (Richie Redskin, if you recall) had one very good season, was on IR the next season, and then a poor season. The poor season came after the defensive coaching staff changed when Nolan took over. Where Owens had been used as an edge player, lining up wide, Nolan made him play over the offensive tackle. It wasn't so much that Owens couldn't play the run (though it wasn't his strength), but by lining up directly over the tackle, his quickness and burst were negated. Again, it was a typical Turner case of not using a player in a way to take advantage of his talents and mask his weaknesses.

Russell was an undersized linebacker who had nice instincts, which is just the type that Johnson and Wannstedt love. Turner never had much an affinity for overachievers. Go figure.

I don't think that's necessarily a valid criticism, Mick. You don't expect players to have big stats when they're double teamed. And we didn't exactly have huge DE stats despite the Wilkinson-Stubblefield tandem in the middle until Bruce Smith arrived. I'd take someone like Owens who can actually take advantage of opportunities.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Owens was told to bulk up to stop the run whic me affected his pass rushing. The first year he played in Miami he was back to being a light speed rusher which fit the dolphins scheme at that time

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

Archived