Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden and Al made a great point about Portis

jbooma

How he is getting used to the counter running game. Last night they were showing how Portis has to wait just a little but for that other pulling guard something he didn't do while in Denver. They mentioned this was the first game where he started to wait to let it develop. That in the first couple of games he would beat them to the hole so he didn't have much running room.

Then on a play in the fourth it was funny because they said Portis said screw this and then busted one outside for a nice run for a first down :D

Yes, I agree with what Madden said before the game started.

He said the biggest problem with the Skins ofense right now is thier timing seems to be off.

As he said, Portis is like a second to early hitting the holes, and not waiting for his blockers.

Brunell is like a second to late throwing the ball, causing receivers to either have to stop for the ball or reach back for it.

Timing is something that comes with familiarity, and repitition. As these guys play together more and more, the timing will get better and the mistakes will fade away.

Skins Guy

I think Portis problem is the Oline. I haven't been impressed by their pass or run blocking in the last few games. We need to dominate the line of scrimmage and we aren't doing that. I think Chris Samuel's needs to bulk up, he's too light and is getting driven back on his feet. We really miss Jansen.

Timing adjustment. Big uglies like Samuals and Dockery are upwards of 100 pounds heavier then o-line men 15 years ago. Cats like Portis are faster then anything on the field in the days of yore. There is a decent speed mismatch...

Perhaps more emphasis on tight-ends and receivers being used in blocking at the line (maybe this was why Royal was on the field?) Portis is outright dangerous when allowed to get to open space. Although, last night, those 3-4 yard gains falling down while running through traffic, reminded me of Ahman Green with Green Bay (decent o-line/HB to emulate)

:cheers:

Archived