Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami - Pittsburg game cancelled

nelms

Originally posted by SkinsBry

They should move it to a Monday night. I remember several years back (1997 I think) a Sunday game was cancelled and moved to Monday night. I went to a sports bar and was able to watch both games.

I don't see that happening. First, they would have to make that decision today for logistical reasons. They're not going to know how bad the damage is going to be in Miami until the hurricane actually hits. Second, I think the NFL wants to avoid the negative image of playing a game just after a hurricane has blown through. Last but not least, they're not going to want to conflict with the Redskins-Cowboys game.

ESPN.com just reported that the game will be played Sunday night at 8:30pm. I don't think is a smart move by the NFL in my opinion, especially if Miami ends up getting slammed hard by the hurricane.

Well, gotta go change my fantasy lineup again. :laugh:

Yeah, Sunday @ 8:30 is correct.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1888519

Saturday, September 25, 2004

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- Hurricane Jeanne forced the postponement of Sunday's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Miami Dolphins -- but only by several hours.

ESPN's Hank Goldberg reports that teams now are scheduled to play at 8:30 p.m. Sunday rather than at 1.

The decision to postpone the game was made after the Dolphins discussed the matter with the NFL, Dolphins president Eddie Jones said Saturday. Team and league officials were monitoring the hurricane.

"The Commissioner's office has asked the two teams to consider the larger public safety issues to determine when the game can best be played," Jones said in a statement.

The Steelers flew in to South Florida on Friday, a day early, because of the hurricane.

Hurricane Jeanne is the latest in a string of weather problems that have plagued the Dolphins this season.

Miami's opening game against Tennessee was moved up one day and played on a Saturday because of Hurricane Ivan.

One week before that, the NFL forced the Dolphins to travel to New Orleans for an exhibition game after players balked at leaving their families while in the path of Hurricane Frances.

Archived