Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cowboys notebook

denverdan

It's a bit early for our game, but any bad news coming out of dallas is good news to me. Gotta go with the browns this week.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/stories/MYSA091604.4C.FBNCowboysnotes.8854b382.html

Cowboys Notebook

Web Posted: 09/16/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn

San Antonio Express-News

Dallas Cowboys rookie running back Julius Jones is expected to play Sunday against Cleveland, but there's a 50-50 chance that three of his teammates won't dress for the home opener.

"(Jones) should be able to go, but we'll see," coach Bill Parcells said. "He has to go through some blitz pickup in practice and then we'll see where he is."

Parcells' injury update wasn't nearly as positive for running back Richie Anderson, right guard Andre Gurode and center Tyson Walter, who are listed as questionable with sprained knees.

Gurode's injury is the most serious of the three, Parcells said.

"If they don't practice, they won't play," Parcells said.

A bruised rib forced Jones to miss the preseason finale and last Sunday's 35-17 loss to Minnesota in the regular-season opener.

"Last week during practice, I didn't get the sense that he could (play in a game) with confidence," Parcells said. "I'm not going to play a guy that can't play with confidence."

Parcells said he has not made any long-term judgments about Jones' toughness.

"The kid's got something that is bothering him," Parcells said, referring to the rib injury. "I don't think it is too serious, but it was prohibitive for last week. We'll see where he is this week."

If Anderson is unable to play, Parcells said he would probably use Jones as the back in obvious passing situations.

Parcells said Matt Lehr, who started at center last year, and rookie Ben Noll, better be ready to step in if Walter and Gurode can't play.

Disappointed in Daleroy: Parcells said defensive tackle Daleroy Stewart's inability to step up his game was the reason why the team released him Tuesday.

"I told him he needed to pick it up and be a force and he never took a step forward from training camp on," Parcells said.

more news out of dallas:

COWBOYS | VS. BROWNS

IS IT PASS, AND FAIL? Cowboys show they can throw, but need more

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

With Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, just as in life, there are few certainties. But one thing you can take to the bank: He would prefer to run the ball 50 times rather than throw it 50 times, as the Cowboys did in their 35-17 season-opening loss to Minnesota.

The Cowboys will attempt to mix in more runs Sunday against Cleveland. However, with the team's glaring problems on defense and questions remaining about the running game, the only thing the Cowboys know for sure one week into the 2004 season is that they can throw the ball.

Veteran quarterback Vinny Testaverde, 40, leads the NFL's top-ranked passing offense. Receivers Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn and Antonio Bryant have a chance to be one of the most dangerous pass-catching threesomes in franchise history.

"We have a chance to be lethal," Johnson said. "We do different things to complement each other. I like this pass offense. We are going to generate revenue. We are going to cash in."

• The Cowboys are fifth in the NFL in total offense and first in passing offense with 352 yards.

• In his Cowboys debut, Vinny Testaverde threw for 355 yards, the 14th highest single-game total in club history and the most by a Dallas quarterback since Troy Aikman threw for 455 yards against Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day in 1998. It was the best debut performance ever by a Cowboys quarterback.

• Antonio Bryant (112 receiving yards) and Keyshawn Johnson (111) were the first Cowboys receivers to gain more than 100 yards in the same game since opening day in 1999, when Raghib Ismail (149) and Michael Irvin (122) did it at Washington.

• Johnson is tied for the NFL lead in receptions with nine. Bryant is tied for fourth in the league -- third in the NFC -- with eight catches, a single-game career-best.

• Bryant is third in the league in receiving yardage; Johnson is tied for fifth. Terry Glenn, who had five catches for 84 yards, is tied for 10th in the NFC in receiving yardage.

COWBOYS | VS. BROWNS, 3:15 P.M. SUNDAY, KTVT/CH. 11

COWBOYS OFFENSE SEARCHING FOR IDENTITY | 14D

Archived