Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Donny Banks isn't smelling what Gibbs is cooking

Guest Westbrook36

Originally posted by GB81

I agree with him. The book on Javon Walker is 10 cent head with tons of talent. And Driver really dropped off last year. Yes, they have a great (but aging) o-line and solid running backs, but Favre has dropped off lately, and seems to throw more and more inexcuseably bad INTs at the wrong time--see their last two playoff losses. Kind of feels like they are ready to drop off.

My problem with this article is he says absolutely NOTHING in it. He makes no use of any football knowledge whasoever. I picked out this quote of yours because it illustrates my point. In one paragraph YOU told me why you agree the Packers won't be as good, but he never ever did. He just says in his paragraph that they're going to drop to 8-8 this year, because , ... um I have no idea why.

So, if you can do the same thing in the same space, why can't he?

All this guy ever does is toss out a few generalizations and somehow he's getting paid as a sportswriter for it.

It's not that I think his predictions are so outlandish,, it's more the fact that he bases them on absolutely nothing but the same old usual hacked out clichés and a few non-statements.

Plus, I'm pissy at his dismissal of Gibbs as some second rate shmuck with nary a chance to succeed, much less any actual reason WHY he thinks that Gibbs "umm, no' won't succeed.. so I figured I'd take it out by picking his 'article' apart. :D

~Bang

Originally posted by Bang

My problem with this article is he says absolutely NOTHING in it. He makes no use of any football knowledge whasoever. I picked out this quote of yours because it illustrates my point. In one paragraph YOU told me why you agree the Packers won't be as good, but he never ever did. He just says in his paragraph that they're going to drop to 8-8 this year, because , ... um I have no idea why.

So, if you can do the same thing in the same space, why can't he?

All this guy ever does is toss out a few generalizations and somehow he's getting paid as a sportswriter for it.

It's not that I think his predictions are so outlandish,, it's more the fact that he bases them on absolutely nothing but the same old usual hacked out clichés and a few non-statements.

Plus, I'm pissy at his dismissal of Gibbs as some second rate shmuck with nary a chance to succeed, much less any actual reason WHY he thinks that Gibbs "umm, no' won't succeed.. so I figured I'd take it out by picking his 'article' apart. :D

~Bang

You know what: I realized your point while I was writing my post--I had to back up all his points for him, because he couldn't take a few extra sentences to do it himself. I'm sure he has space limitations, but you're right that making broad generalizations and forcing the reader to make these leaps to understand the basis for them is bad journalism.

I guess where I am coming from is this--if Gibbs stays for 5 years, I'd say it's probably less than 50-50 he wins a Super Bowl. So many things have to go right for that to happen for any team, and, in the cap era, with the parity and lack of depth afforded by it, it takes a lot of good fortune (along with phenomenal coaching and talent) to win a Super Bowl. And I'm just guessing that the "less than 50%" number I threw out there is one that would cause many fans here to recoil in horror.

how can you not believe in this coaching staff with all the talent?

Gibbs...

Brunell, Portis, Coles, Gardner Buges O-line

Arrington, Washington, Smoot, Springs, Taylor.. Greg Williams

I saw the AFC championship game replay on NFL network last night and Walt Harris saved the day by not making it a complete blowout a couple of times. prevented 2 TD's in that game.

Archived