Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

will barrow make the cut?

jimminie82

i loved it when we got this guy, I feel as if he's going to have a hugh impact on or defense, but now we have these injury issues that aren't allowing him to even get in on the practice feild. is he ever going to be healthy enough to have the impact that we expected of him? just how bad is his knee?:(

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

Not that I think this will happen, but what are the salary cap ramifications of injury settlements (forced retirement due to injury)?

Is it the same as being released, or is it closer to the Barry/Ricky situation as far as SB amortization goes? Anyone? Pocono? Buddha?

It depends on the situation, if he leaves the team then its more like a Ricky situation, if he's cut/released he still gets paid and we take a hit.

Barrow has a minimum salary in 2004, so that is not the issue.

The signing bonus has already been paid and the Skins cant get that back. That is where the cap hit comes in if he is released.

If Barrow cant play any games at all, then he goes on IR and there is no cap hit. A waste of money tied up, but no cap hit. If he is later released, it wont be until after June 1 in 2005.

Being that I believe he has practiced some with the team in camp already, I dont think he is now eligible for the PUP list. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Being that I believe he has practiced some with the team in camp already, I dont think he is now eligible for the PUP list. :)

Im not sure that is the case. I thought that if you didnt play in a preseason game then you were eligable for PUP. :confused:

Barrow received a 2.5M signing bonus so if he's cut about 417K would be dead money this year and about 2.1M would be dead money in 2005. Since his 04 salary would go away if cut this year they would realize a small cap savings. Really the only advantage to cutting him would be to save his minimum salary this season. For 600K it's worth it to let him see if he can get healthy because this guy is a warrior IMO......I just checked and his 04 salary is 760K.

Inmate....I'm if you're saying that if he goes on IR his salary won't count against the cap that's wrong. I'm not sure that's what you are saying but if it is it's incorrect.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Im not sure that is the case. I thought that if you didnt play in a preseason game then you were eligable for PUP. :confused:

I dont think so. Walt Harris started out on the PUP list, but was moved off and I dont think can be put back on. If Barrow started camp and practiced -- which he did I believe -- I dont think he can now be put on the PUP list. Read the first sentence below.

By being placed on active-PUP the team is confirming that a player is entering training camp with a pre-existing injury, which is a prerequisite to being placed on any PUP list, active or reserve.

No player injured during training camp is eligible for the reserve-PUP list that will be established on Sept. 5, four days before the Patriots season opener -- if needed. A player injured during camp would have to be placed on injured reserve (lost for the season) or remain on the active roster. So in order for a player to be eligible for reserve-PUP, he must start training camp on the active-PUP list, making that designation a procedural matter that leaves a team's options open in dealing with players who are not ready to practice at the start of camp.

No player on the list can practice with the team, but can take part in rehabilitation and conditioning work. If a player is moved from active-PUP to reserve-PUP, that player is lost for at least the first six weeks of the season. The player can begin practicing any time between Weeks Six and Nine and then has a three-week window to practice before the team must determine his final status. The team can then leave the player on reserve-PUP for the remainder of the season, move the player to injured reserve, which also means the player is lost for the season, or activate the player to the 53-man roster at any point during the three week window.

Archived