Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Md. Judge Acquits College Football Player

Thiebear

Posted on Tue, Aug. 17, 2004

Md. Judge Acquits College Football Player

Associated Press

http://go.fark.com/cgi/fark/go.pl?IDLink=1084766&location=http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/breaking_news/9425487.htm

OCEAN CITY, Md. - A judge, while acknowledging he believed a college football player was "guilty as sin," acquitted him of charges related to a run-in with police after a lawyer argued that a conviction could end the player's career.

Gregory D. Powell, 20, was charged with assaulting police and disorderly conduct after a June disturbance at a motel where police had ordered underage drinkers to pour out their beer.

Powell's attorney told Judge R. Patrick Hayman during the non-jury trial that a conviction or probation could end Powell's career as a wide receiver at the University of Maryland.

"Son, you are about to get an early Christmas present, because I know what effect a probation would have," Hayman told the defendant Monday. "And it is a gift, because you are guilty as sin. I'm going to find you not guilty."

Powell admitted cursing at an officer and leaving the motel room after police entered. Officers then used pepper spray on Powell and said he was under arrest. Afterward, Powell fought with officers and tried to run, police said.

A spokesman for Maryland's football program said Powell was likely to face disciplinary action, but the charges had not kept him out of preseason practices.

That judge needs to be disbarred.

I don't care if it was something minor. He is supposed to be a judge and to rule fairly and impartially. And honestly.

If he can't do his job and enforce the law as he is supposed to, he shouldn't be a judge. Is he going to give a free pass to every other defendant that's not a Md. football player? Not likely.

I consider this person in the black robe a "Fan".

At no point in time did he perform as a "Judge".

It should be highlighted and a discovery of recent verdicts examined for inappropriate decisions. If there are none, it may be the infraction was not worth the sentence.. If there are, its a case of personality vs. law...

Originally posted by Thiebear

I consider this person in the black robe a "Fan".

At no point in time did he perform as a "Judge".

It should be highlighted and a discovery of recent verdicts examined for inappropriate decisions. If there are none, it may be the infraction was not worth the sentence.. If there are, its a case of personality vs. law...

The guy is an absolute SCRUB on the football team. The dead last option as a reciever. The only thing that kept him from being convicted was the fact that he would lose his college scholarship. The judge remanded him over a crime that was pretty insignificant anyway.

I know this judge and he is notoriously liberal. But with that said I work in Ocean City, MD and this type of incident happens daily during the summertime. This judge has seen these types of cases probably a hundred times. If he put everyone on probation that was brought up on these type of charges the probation officers would have to be increased 10 fold down here. Or they have to be transferred to an officer in the criminals home area. All in all, it is a bigger hassel then it is worth.

Underage drinking, drunk and disorderly, and fighting with officers unfortunately is ignored here. This is so prevalant but ignored because the local hotel/motel/reastaurant association, city council, county commissioners, business community, etc. are scared they will drive tourists away. The local politicians and busniess people walk around with blinders on because of MONEY! This is to the determinent of the police force here. People from other areas come here every summer act like complete idiots and then go home. Sometimes I wish I could go to their home towns with about 200,000 people and act like they do. Then maybe they would show some respect while they are here...but that will never happen. :2cents:

Archived