Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Now at home with Redskins, Springs helping set defensive tone

China

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-springs&prov=ap&type=lgns

August 12, 2004

ASHBURN, VA. (AP) -- Because Jon Jansen's season ended on Washington's second possession Monday night against Denver, the first big play Shawn Springs made for his new team was almost overlooked.

But Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach for defense, sure didn't forget about Springs stepping in front of a Jake Plummer pass to end Denver's opening drive.

``It set the tone for our 2004 defense,'' Williams said of interception that led to Washington's first-quarter field goal. ``We would have liked to have gotten seven, but we at least got points. We need our corners to have a reputation as shutdown corners, and that was good for him to answer some of the questions about him.''

The questions aren't easy ones to answer, because topping the list is whether he can play like the No. 3 overall draft pick that he was in 1997 -- or if injuries will again prevent him from playing in every game this season.

Add to that the fact that he has to replace Pro Bowler Champ Bailey, and one would think it would be almost too much for Springs to handle.

The one thing that oozes from Springs, however, is self-respect.

He says he expects to make plays like his interception Monday night, not because he was trying to make Washington fans forget about the trade that sent Bailey to Denver, but simply because those are the plays he's always tried to make.

``That was doing my job. That's part of being a defensive back and part of what I bring to the table,'' Springs said.

``That has nothing to do with Champ, that has to do with my self-pride and me being who I am. That has nothing do with him, that's just who I am.''

Springs lives in nearby Silver Spring, Md., where he played running back, defensive back and ran track for Springbrook High School. He was a two-time All-Big 10 selection at Ohio State before playing his first seven NFL seasons for the Seahawks.

Now that he's back in town with the Redskins, those playing around Springs can sense how excited he is to be here with his hometown team -- even if Bailey isn't.

``People always ask me what it's like to lose Champ, but we gained a Shawn Springs,'' said fellow starting cornerback Fred Smoot. ``He's playing at home for the first time, playing at home can rejuvenate anybody.''

During the early part of his career, Springs was counted on to play every week. From the start of his 1998 Pro Bowl season through the end of 2000, Springs played in every game and intercepted a total of 14 passes.

More recently his reliability has come into question. Springs was suspended for four games in 2001 for violating the league's substance abuse policy and last season missed the first four games after fracturing a bone in his right shoulder trying to make a tackle.

``It's always important to stay on the field and stay healthy. Last year I missed some games, but I've also had some years where I played 50-some straight games,'' Springs said. ``Hopefully I can go can go on another streak where I play three years without having to miss a game. That's what people tend to forget sometimes.''

Williams is counting on Springs being available for every game and praise his speed and hard-hitting play that should excite his new defense.

``He's a football player. He does not shy away from contact, he's very physical,'' Williams said. ``A lot of times guys who get that label of just being a track guy playing football, they wouldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat. He'll hit you.''

``A lot of times guys who get that label of just being a track guy playing football, they wouldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat.

Great line by Williams. I think Springs may suprise some people this year and take alot of the sting out of losing Champ. If he can cover Toomer, we won't miss Champ at all.... :laugh:

Spings is not Champ. That is good and bad. Champ is an excellent cover corner but really failed to actualize on the big play. Springs is a good cover corner but has a track record of making the big play. I will take that tradeoff. Even better he only costs half what champ does.

Archived