Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

8-1 Training Camp Report (or something like that)

Ignatius J.

There are better reports out there than I can write, but I wanted to mention a few things that I do not feel got enough play in the other threads.

First, the best drill of the day had a WR going mono a mono with a CB, catching a pass from a QB. No report will do justice to this drill, but watching coles and smoot go at it was simply amazing. Coles would cut a few times with smoot swiveling and planting his feet to keep his body in coles' hip pocket. When ramsey managed to float a deep bomb into coles hands in stride, the crowd exploded. Ramsey shined in this drill. Unlike Yesterday, Brunell was overthrowing recievers consistantly. Ramsey was dropping passes in perfect position. Smoot had a few great plays against coles though, so the battle was pretty even handed. But it was a battle, and it was beautiful.

Portis also shined, even when the o-line did not. It is one of those cases where you can't tell if our o-line is terrible or if our D-line is great. I worry from history that it is more of the former.

Williams had the defense blitzing constantly, and while they did achieve some pressure, our offense did a pretty good job picking up the blitzes.

Overall a great practice to attend. If anyone asks questions I will probably be able to go into a lot more detail. It just seems like so much information.

Thanks Ignatius J. for the report. I wouldn't worry so much about our O-line. There's always a lag between our defense and offense. By the end of the week we'll have a better indication.

BTW, I'm not sure if you heard yet, but A Confederacy of Dunces is being made into a movie starring Will Ferrell and Drew Barrymore... Mos Def is playing Jones. Whoa!

Hey Ig J,

So, it seems that the reports of the QB competition have flip-flopped from yesterday. Would you say that Ramsey looked 'better' today than Brunell?

Also, redskins.com reports that the defense had a great day today, and 'picked up the intensity when Taylor stepped in.' Any validity to that?

Lastly, washpost touched on the D today as well, mentioning that Lavar had consistent pressure on the QB lining up as an end. Did you notice this?

Thanks! :cheers:

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Hey Ig J,

So, it seems that the reports of the QB competition have flip-flopped from yesterday. Would you say that Ramsey looked 'better' today than Brunell?

Also, redskins.com reports that the defense had a great day today, and 'picked up the intensity when Taylor stepped in.' Any validity to that?

Lastly, washpost touched on the D today as well, mentioning that Lavar had consistent pressure on the QB lining up as an end. Did you notice this?

Thanks! :cheers:

Great questions freak...Ditto from me if you got the time to answer.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

There are better reports out there than I can write, but I wanted to mention a few things that I do not feel got enough play in the other threads.

First, the best drill of the day had a WR going mono a mono with a CB, catching a pass from a QB. No report will do justice to this drill, but watching coles and smoot go at it was simply amazing. Coles would cut a few times with smoot swiveling and planting his feet to keep his body in coles' hip pocket. When ramsey managed to float a deep bomb into coles hands in stride, the crowd exploded. Ramsey shined in this drill. Unlike Yesterday, Brunell was overthrowing recievers consistantly. Ramsey was dropping passes in perfect position. Smoot had a few great plays against coles though, so the battle was pretty even handed. But it was a battle, and it was beautiful.

Portis also shined, even when the o-line did not. It is one of those cases where you can't tell if our o-line is terrible or if our D-line is great. I worry from history that it is more of the former.

Williams had the defense blitzing constantly, and while they did achieve some pressure, our offense did a pretty good job picking up the blitzes.

Overall a great practice to attend. If anyone asks questions I will probably be able to go into a lot more detail. It just seems like so much information.

How did Taylor look? I saw a highlight from Levan Reid that showed Taylor coming from nowhere to deflect a pass, but was just wondering how his performance looked.

danny boy, I have heard and am ecstatic.

Ramsey looked better today than brunell. In all of the drills where the QBs were throwing deep balls, ramsey hit the recievers in stride when brunell either forced the recievers to break thier strides or simply overthrew them. This was true when the recievers were just running routes, and it was true in the 1 on1 situation I described above. In the 11 on 11, ramsey had a great out pass to the sideline that was perfectly threaded. One thing I noticed about brunell, he has a bit of a canon when he wants it. It's not a ramsey arm, but the guy can send the ball on a rope to a reciever running a 15 yard hook/in/out.

Taylor played with the second team, so no, I do not believe that there is any truth at all to the idea that Taylor picked up the team since he was never in with people to "pick up." Taylor did not get many snaps but he was not a god on the field. He looked like a rookie in his first practice. That said he never looked confused. He went to where he needed to be. He showed excellent straight line speed coming up on thrash when he ran a wide reciever screen. Taylor closed immediately reading the play very well, taking what couldn't have been more than two steps to travel 15 yards... :)

He also chased down portis a few times demonstrating some pretty good angles. In general QBs tended to throw away from him, and he held his own pretty well, but LaVar is still the beast on this Defense, and Smoot is the beast in the secondary.

As far as lavar rushing, I actually did not see much of that today. LaVar was everywhere though, and he was hard to keep track of. Williams is moving these guys around a lot, up to the moment the snap comes. I would not doubt the report though. I can vouch for arrington blowing up into a hole and stopping portis behind the line of scrimmage though. Perhapes the biggest hit of the day. (It may have been betts and not portis though, both had their jersey's rolled up)

Upshaw got pancaked by samuels on the first running play of the day, BUT, the defensive line was winning the battle for the line of scrimmage today. The linebackers were getting into holes and making stops, so upshaw must have been doing something right.

It's good to see the Skins have good practices early on, but down the road from me (Oxnard) the Cowboys have looked like an excellent team once again. The pokes look like the team to beat this season, and not the heat stroke plagued Eagles.

:wewantd:

Well, it's nice to see a mention of Rock.

The only people who mentioned him on Day 1 were folks who say he whiffed when picking up a blitzer.

And, as to the lines, the impression I've been getting is that our d-line may not pressure the QB much, but with Noble, they are at least getting a good push, and will likely do well against the run. (And, after the last few years, that sounds pretty good, to me.)

Archived