Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This season's Special Teams

As in every offseason, big changes have been made to our favorite team, where in-the-spotlight players like Portis, Taylor, and Brunell dominate the threads here at Extremeskins.

But, as we all are now well-aware, the most significant of these changes is having our old war-general return, Joe Gibbs. A man so thorough, that every position has depth, competition, and age diversity.

Moreover, I think we can all recognize just how important S Teams can play in the NFL, where every punt, kick, and battle for field position plays a crucial role.

But do you know who understands it's importance even more than us? That's right....Joe Gibbs.

All of the roster depth we now have equates to an extremely solid special teams unit:

-First and foremost, TWO starting-caliber return-men in Morton and Thrash, each proven to be a force.

-Next, FINALLY, FINALLY, a worthy punter in Tupa, to pair up w/, and hold for, a reliable kicker in John Hall.

After the obvious acquisitions are out of the way, we can start to realize just how team depth plays a role in ST:

-Note the adundance of TEs, mostly to battle it out for the all-important h-back position. But make no mistake- those not taking the bulk of the snaps will be primed and ready for the ST unit. Couple that w/ some relative depth at OL, and you have a solid core ST blocking unit.

-next, the quality secondary that we have arranged includes the likes of many, including Iffy, Harris, Brown, and even Bowman, who may rarely see defensive playing time this season.

All in all, this team is so well put together, that Special Teams will simply be a by-product of a fantastic organization of talent, brewing w/ chemistry to create an all-important third-dimension of a football team.

Because field position is everything, and no one knows that more than Joe Gibbs. This man is a pure genius.

I was just thinking this the other day while playing 2K5. Tupa pounds the ball on that game, and to think of having not only all those TE's, but guys like Pierce and Mitchell for coverage teams, this could be a real good year for teams.

Even if Morton and Thrash can't get it done, we still have Jacobs and Russell who can fly. And you know this coaching staff is going to have these guys ready and not just have it be an after thought. I think we will finally get our money out of Morton with improved blocking and schemes.

I'm so pumped right now I can hardly stand it.

Archived