Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My highschool football situation

rockANDallstar

I have a passion for football, it is the best sport there is to offer for one season.

My coach is a good guy, a geometry teacher at my school. He has beliefs about certain things that I can agree with--such as how hard is to get a head coaching position at a highschool being black. Thats all good that he got his job. Now hes out to prove a point, that he has potential.

This is where the story starts:

My football program consists of a Fall season with practice everyday until mid-novemberish starting at the beginning of the school year. This I have absolutely no problem with. Prior to that I have a preseason for 3 weeks, every day, morning to night, this I also have no problem with. During the school year, after football has ended, my coach likes to see us in the weightroom, he will hate you if you dont show your face in there. So, I went every monday wednesday and friday to lift, every week. Some days I would skip, but big deal. I did it until the end of this year

When summer came, my coach wanted to continue this monday wednesday friday process of lifting, but he added drills too, where I have arrived and had to watch the incoming freshman run out for passes in 7 on drills and stuff like that. I want to know what the deal is about this all-year-round football program. In all honesty, it is making me HATE the only thing i really love to do. What should I do? I haven't gone to the Monday Wednesday Friday drills all summer, should I start going before preseason, or should I just stay put and wait until preseason starts? What do you guys think? :(

The last thing you want to do is alienate your coach. If he doesn't see your face at the practices/drills and strength conditioning events, trust me, he will remember. It is only going to hurt you in the long run. Less playing time and you won't get the benefit of the doubt from the coach when you might need it.

Don't forget, some of your team mates will have made most, if not all, of these drills and workouts which, in the long run, will cause problems between them and you, especially if you are a "gifted" athlete and the coach still plays you in the games despite your absence from the drills and workouts.

I played for a number of years at a few different levels. Take it from me, participate as much as you can with team workouts/drills. It will only make YOU better in the long run and help you bond with your team mates. I used to hate going to the same types of events/functions, but I went (although begrudgingly). It will pay off in the end.

Here's the sad truth, any HS sport worth it's salt in this day and time is a year round thing. While I was still coaching HS baseball, I barely had a break between the actual season to fall ball, to conditioning to picther/catchers etc... it was always something.

The commitment level is much higher than it used to be. You have to be committed to year round participation unless you are involved with other sports.

Code I thought schools were not allowed to force kids to practice year round, maybe I am wrong on that.

I would first find out if it is mandatory and if you want to play for him and it is mandatory then you have to go.

I remember when we played we had the two-a-days before school but nothing after the season.

Honestly, A lot of sports are year round, whether your in high school, or you play slow pitch softball. If I don't hit the gym, swing the bat in the off season, I'll never get any better. And ech year I try to make one aspect of my game better. For example, last year, I played an awesome 3rd base. This year, I'm working on getting on base and hitting a lot more.

But on the other hand, if your doing something so much, that your are begining to hate it, you might want to cut it back a notch.

If you can't deal with the year round stuff, go to your coach and tell him you might not be able to make all the workouts year round, but tell him you are working on your game and conditioning on your own, which hopefully for you benefit you will. I hope this helps.

Damn...Almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about.

Remember this too....................

A team needs leaders and leaders are not made, they are naturally leaders. By participating in team events and encouraging your other team mates to participate, you will be leading, by example.

This is very important as you progress through your football career. If you look at these events not as something you "have" to do, but something that will benefit YOU and the TEAM and not as if they are a "sacrifice", attending these types of events will become second nature. Your attendance, more over, your full participation will help you become a leader in your team mates' eyes. They will look to you when times are rough on, and off, the field.

Good luck, and what position do you play?

My only concern would be burn out. All the practices will definitely help you physically and believe me, the hard work will pay off. However, be diligent with your schedule. When there is a break, get away as far as you can. Maybe your family can plan their vacation during that time or something. Unless you have a future with college ball, I wouldn't miss out on all the other things highschool has to offer. You only go to high school once so try to enjoy it as much as possible. Manage your time effectively and I am sure you can participate in all the practices and all other activities as well. And don't forget to eat right!

Bottom line is if you piss off your coach you won't play. You have to do what is expected of you. If he expects all of his players to be there, then you should. Since it sounds like you are not varisty (looking at your age) you can put a good impression on him.

If you love football then extra pratice shouldn't make you upset.

Your right, extra practice shouldn't and doesnt make me upset. But I go to drills and watch incoming freshman going out for passes, while I am standing on the sidelines watching, when I know im better and I know I have more potential. I dont want to be racist, but if you arent black on my team, you are a secondary option for usage. Its kind of messed up. Why cant my team just have fun playing football? Everythings gotta be so uptight. WHen I play lacrosse, we win games, we have fun, and its so chill. there are no problems, and everyone plays well and has a good time.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Being a long snapper gurantees you get on the field. I tried that in HS but broke my finger right before the season. I can still long snap pretty decent now.

You gotta show that you are commited to the team. My senior year us seniors paid attention to who was out there and who was commited.

The key thing is it helps develop chemistry. And coaches want that. They know if players get along and don't have grudges the team will be better. Unfourtantley our senior class was fairly divided and we had a lousy year.

You want people to see your face and know that you are commited to the team. Going to the drills is only going to help especially if you are doing nothing else.

And yeah football especially anywhere is year round. I managed though to be commited to football as well as get in time to improve my lacrosse skills each summer, work a part time job and find time for the beach. Its all about time management

Originally posted by rockANDallstar

Your right, extra practice shouldn't and doesnt make me upset. But I go to drills and watch incoming freshman going out for passes, while I am standing on the sidelines watching, when I know im better and I know I have more potential. I dont want to be racist, but if you arent black on my team, you are a secondary option for usage. Its kind of messed up. Why cant my team just have fun playing football? Everythings gotta be so uptight. WHen I play lacrosse, we win games, we have fun, and its so chill. there are no problems, and everyone plays well and has a good time.

I understand what you are saying. All you can do is just show every time on the field that you are better then everyone. You have to make the coach think that there is no way I can't keep that on the sidelines.

I played WR and wasn't the fastest, so the brought some kids straight from track to play, and they had speed but i would never drop a ball and that is how I became the starter.

The only issue we had as a team was our QB averaged more passes to the other team :laugh:

Are you suggesting i play center

No I'm not suggesting that you play center. Long snapping is an artform and you only have to long snap on a handful of plays per game (on punts and extra points and field goals). Its like throwing the football between your legs. You certainly don't have to play at center full time to long snap.

What I'm saying is that if you can develop a talent to long snap, your value as a player will increase (not everyone can do it well). Once you have played a few years in High Scholl you'll probably be thinking about playing college ball. If there are three (and most likely more) other players in your area with the exact same abilities as you at linebacker and tight end, who do you think the college will expend a scholarship on?

If you have an ability to play special teams (and long snapping is one of the most sought after abilities on special teams), the college is more apt to give the player with the special teams ability the scholarship than the player that does not have that ability (all other things being equal of course).

Its only a suggestion, but your young enough to potentially become quite good at it with practice.

Most of my scholarship offers came in because of my ability to long snap. They looked at film of my play at LB and found out that I also long snapped. Next thing you know, I was being recruited heavily.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to mention it to a coach and give it a shot. It'll keep you on the field longer as well.

No problem.

Don't get discouraged and practice, practice, practice with the long snapping.

The hard work pays off in the end. One other thing, when your coach starts seeing your face around constantly and your willingness to participate, I'll bet there will be some players standing on the sidelines watching YOU go out for passes.

Good luck!

Wouldn't the greater philosophical question here be how much football or other sport related activity is too much?Or, Is there such a thing as too much? Is there a point of diminishing returns? Don't get me wrong I understand the value of dedication but sometimes the motivational fervor of coaches especially at that level seem to at times become something darker. Do the benefits always outway the costs here?

The bottom line is that any coach worth his salt will put the best players out there, regardless of how much they participate in the off season activities.

Unfortunately, I would guess that most high school coaches do not always have open tryouts for positions and are limited by their perception.

For example, my coaches seemed to think that those people who wore the biggest shoulder pads were better than others. That may explain why we were 1-9 my senior year.

Anyway, in my opinion, if you are the best at your position you should play. Obviously, you can't go skipping everything and it sounds like you are putting in a good faith effort.

Remember, you know your body. I would venture to guess that this coach does not have a degree in kinesiology, so he is probably not an expert on training. Make sure you don't get hurt out there.

The last thing you want to do is alienate your coach. If he doesn't see your face at the practices/drills and strength conditioning events, trust me, he will remember.

Very true that.

My football experience was limited to the 7th and 8th grade team. I made it as a 7th grader. But due to personal issues (my stepfather was a $@#%%$&), I had to quit the team.

The next year (8th grade) I had Igen (football coach) as my science teacher. First thing he said to me that year when school started (in the class room) was "good thing you didn't try out for the team this year."

Archived