Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Important Defensive Position?

Mr. S

Originally posted by earl

most important? perhaps it should be "hardest position to play?" or "most valuable postion" but most important? i'm not sure if there is a distinction. all are equally important. D is not like offense in that there is a qb that is labled "most important".

i agree,you can't have a weak link or it will break every time.i don't know if this qualifies but how about d-coordinater

Originally posted by Art

I think what's important on a defense depends on what system a defense runs. Your example of Carolina is a poor one, because, overall, they weren't that great of a defense. The Cowboys produced a better defense with a dramatically lesser defensive line that was built around speed at linebacker and an aggressive style to compensate for relative line weakness.

Certainly having a great line makes it easier to have a great defense because the back seven will be better, where a great back seven may not make the front four good enough unless there is a scheme change to coincide with it.

True, overall Carolina's defense was not great. But the penetration and pressure their rotating front 7 put on the opposing offense was insane. It raised the play of their LBs and CBs because everyone was worried bout Peppers and the crew. I wouldn't say the opposite is correct, that a great secondary can raise the play of your D line.

Originally posted by earl

most important? perhaps it should be "hardest position to play?" or "most valuable postion" but most important? i'm not sure if there is a distinction. all are equally important. D is not like offense in that there is a qb that is labled "most important".

Well, most important position is prolly the same as most valuable position, i didnt want to talk about hardest to play. And I think that in Defenses, there are at least positions or players that are most important, as you broke down.

So it seems like there is a 3 way tie right now, im surprised barely anyone is putting CB, as a good one is hard to come by.

It all starts at the interior of the line, the DTs are there to make the linebackers and Defensive Ends look good. The DTs get double teamed opened up holes for the ends and they also open up holes for the linebackers.

MLB.....no question.......

look at urlacher with the no namers around him.....

A #1 corner bats to passes down gets a pick and makes 3 tackles...

About the same with a safety

#1 lineman...ehh...4 tackles and 2 sacks

MLB....1 sack and 10+ tackles..........In any offense priority #1 establish the run without the FORCE in the middle they'll run it all game.:cool:

I voted the DT's. Stopping the run, IMO, is more important for now than getting to the QB. I believe if we put teams in 3rd and long situations our secondary is good enough to hold teams most of the time. Stopping the run will make or break our season.:logo:

I would say the defensive line, and specifically the defensive tackles. If your defense can't stop the run, which is the biggest responsibility for the defensive tackles, you also are going to have a much tougher time stopping the pass as well. Also, if your defensive line can't get good push on the offensive line, it makes it much more difficult for the linebackers to rush the quarterback. If your defensive line is weak, it puts the rest of your defense at a disadvantage, which is why I worry about the Redskins' defense this year.

Originally posted by SkinFaninOKC

I voted the DT's. Stopping the run, IMO, is more important for now than getting to the QB. I believe if we put teams in 3rd and long situations our secondary is good enough to hold teams most of the time. Stopping the run will make or break our season.:logo:

the question was more general, not specific to our team. I do agree though, our secondary is good enough to compensate for our weaker defensive line. Stopping the run and putting pressure will make or break our season, so I also agree with you there.

For some reason I have always been partial to CB. We've all seen those games where it seems like a WR can't be stopped. Building around an elite CB limits those barn-burner type games. It also allows you to move a safety into the box to help stop the run.

Archived