Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP: TSN: Broncos-Seahawks Super Bowl

bubba9497

TSN: Broncos-Seahawks Super Bowl

By Jim Armstrong

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~102~2217672,00.html

It's not what you note, it's who you note. ...

You think Woody Paige is nuts, don't you? You think he drinks his breakfast before his annual prediction that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl.

Well, he isn't alone.

The Sporting News, in its annual pro football preview, picks the Broncos to beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

"In order to find this year's Patriots and Panthers, we were interested in teams that were on the verge a year ago and adequately addressed weaknesses in the offseason," writes TSN pro football writer Dan Pompei.

"We unearthed the Broncos, Dolphins, Seahawks and Vikings. To select a winner from this quartet, we played Pin the Tail on the Donkeys. But even with our blindfolds off, the Donkeys, er, Broncos have the look of a team that can go all the way this year." ...

OK, so he's not having a great year, but this is ridiculous: Todd Helton, sixth in the National League all-star balloting among first basemen. ...

You know you're in trouble when your projected starting outfield ranks 29th (Jeromy Burnitz), 41st (Larry Walker) and 46th (Preston Wilson) in the voting. ...

Busy man, Mark Schlereth. In addition to his ESPN TV and radio duties, he just signed on to be the analyst for Channel 4's Broncos exhibition telecasts. ...

I've been saving this one for Red Sox Nation. Just finished "High Above Courtside: The Lost Memoirs of Johnny Most." It's your basic must read for New Eng- land sports fans. ...

Tim Couch signs with the Packers, so everyone assumes Brett Favre is near the end. Two words, sports fans: Not likely. Says here he plays three more years. ...

I don't doubt for a minute Tiger Woods is going to win another major, but it won't be this weekend. Not on a links course. Tell ya what. I'll take the Europeans, you can have the Americans. ...

Random thought while watching CU lose its best players: Can Betsy Hoffman transfer, too? ...

I wouldn't worry about Matt Lepsis moving across the line to left tackle. Lepsis went to Mike Shanahan two years ago and requested the shift because he feels left tackle is his natural position. ...

Broncos quarterback Danny Kanell was a pretty fair baseball player in his day, having been selected by the Brewers in the 19th round of the 1992 draft, and by the Yankees in the 25th three years later. His high school coach? Former big-league pitcher Tommy John. ...

Reggie Hayward, on replacing Bertrand Berry in the Broncos' lineup: "Bert was a 100-percent guy. He comes in and gives you a great effort. That says they have a lot of high expectations of me if they let him go in free agency. They're banking on me a lot, and that's good to know." ...

From Sports Illustrated's Bill Scheft: "Detroit's run has been so inspiring, Larry Brown is actually thinking about unpacking." ...

How did the Red Sox let this guy get away? The San Francisco Chronicle's Tom FitzGerald went down the list of baseball draft choices and discovered the Angels' 31st-rounder, high school catcher Ricky Bambino. ...

Talk about your ironic twists of fate. Karl Malone misses 10 games in his first 18 NBA seasons, but with his first championship within reach, he can't go because of a bad wheel. ...

This is why we keep coming back, keep tuning in, keep popping for six-buck beers: The Pistons were 12-1 in Las Vegas before the season to win the NBA championship. The Marlins were 100-1, the Patriots 18-1 and the Lightning 15-1. The Lakers were 5-1 favorites before the Finals started, and were immediately bet up to 9-1. ...

Jay Leno, on why Detroit sports fans should be happy: "The Pistons are playing well, the Tigers are playing well and the Lions aren't playing at all." ...

Maybe the Rockies will luck out and tomorrow will never come. To wit: They're 0-9 on Fridays.

Archived