Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any internet Explorer gurus out there?

Zuck

I've been having problems going to some pages like Foxsports and Espn. Whenever the page tries to load I get this "Send Error Report Message" than it will restart internet explorer. It never says what the error is though. At first I thought it was my privacy settings because I was blocking third party cookies. I changed it back to default "medium security" and it still happens. Any ideas?

Sorry it's not Redskins related but it does effect my ability to look at Redskins stories.

Thanks for any help

Originally posted by Zuck

Sorry, this should be in the tailgate section. I was not able to delete this though. It says I don't have permission.

Only admins and moderators can delete a post. Otherwise, there could be very confusing threads with important messages removed.

Also, if you are surfing from work, your sysadmin might have a block on those sites because they are known to affect productivity :)

Bummer, it's still doing it. The only other thing I can think of is maybe it's running out of memory. That seems strange since I have a fair amout, (I think I put 512 in there).

Someone told me once that if you have a lot of items on your desktop that that can gobble up memory. That doesn't seem to make sense to me though. Maybe I'll install Netscape Navigator and see if it still does it. The sites it ussually happens on are Foxsports and ESPN. The page will load and then it sounds like the computer chugs away for a second or two after the page loads and then the error message comes up.

This is from home as well. No sysAdmin except for maybe my girlfriend who'll peak over my shoulder occasionally to see what I'm reading.

Delete all of the cookies and temp files. When it comes to cache space, no more than 20MB or so is needed if you are on good connection other than dial-up. If it's still doing it, do a Google for your problem as there are tons of online references to IE problems.

I'd try running Windows Update until you can't update it any more. Not only does it provide security enhancements, it also includes some functionality enhancements as well.

Other than that, I'd try to re-install Macromedia Flash.

If you are looking to try another browser, try this one http://www.avantbrowser.com/. It uses IE in the background but there are some options to disable flash animations, pictures, sounds, etc. I'd try disabling them one by one and see if the page will load with any of those options disabled. If nothing else, you get to experience tabbed browsing, a must for a site like this.

Originally posted by VAsBeachBoy

Most likely, my good friend, you are stuck behind a mean firewall. You need to change you IP address from your ISP. Give this a shot and you'll probably be okay.

It's my home computer and I don't have a firewall.

It seems like it has something to do with Flash. I reinstalled it but was still having the same problem.

I downloaded the Avant browser. I like it. It's pretty cool. I turned off everything and the page wasn't able to load but it didn't lock up on me. Slowly I added things. When I allowed Flash it started working. Doesn't seem to make much sense because that's the same state it was in before I began the process. It's definately got to be Gremlins.

Anyhow, maybe I'll just use this new browser for a while.

thanks everyone for the help.

Want to hear something funny - I am having the exact same problem. For two days now. I am at home also currently on my laptop. Same sites too. There are four that I scan everyday ESPN, the Post, Redskins.com & Extreme. I start with ESPN & cant even get to the home page. Momentarily starts to down load then craps out. Same error message too. Th only thing I can think of is that I tried the ESPN broadband & was told to upgrade my Windows media player to a newer version. Ever since then all problems!!! THinking about uninstalling windows media player....

It seems like it has something to do with Flash. I reinstalled it but was still having the same problem.

I downloaded the Avant browser. I like it. It's pretty cool. I turned off everything and the page wasn't able to load but it didn't lock up on me. Slowly I added things. When I allowed Flash it started working. Doesn't seem to make much sense because that's the same state it was in before I began the process. It's definately got to be Gremlins.

No firewall. No anti virus program? No adware sweepers?

Man, a crack whore is healthier than your CPU!

Did you ever reboot after you re-installed flash? I'm almost betting that would have fixed it though I can't guarantee it.

Does IE work now or is it still failing?

Originally posted by phanatic

No firewall. No anti virus program? No adware sweepers?

Man, a crack whore is healthier than your CPU!

Yeah, one of these days I'll wise up. I don't have an anitvirus program on my computer because I'm so impatient and I hate having it slow my system down. I do have spybot and Adaware installed and I run those once a week.

I really should get an antivirus program. It seems like about twice a year I have to do a partial reinstall of windows which means I also have to reload drivers for a bunch of programs. I think I've gotten pretty fast with it now since I've done it so many times.

Originally posted by redskns56

Did you ever reboot after you re-installed flash? I'm almost betting that would have fixed it though I can't guarantee it.

Does IE work now or is it still failing?

I restarted my computer and was having the same problem. I think what I need to do is uninstall flash first. Maybe I'll try that. I don't seem to have the problem anymore when I run the Avant browser that I just installed.

IE is working it's just on certain sites that it has problems. I'm pretty sure it's a Flash related problem now.

Originally posted by indygo

You guys don't say what version of Windows you're running, but I take it you've probably already tried repairing Internet Explorer?

Listen to the lady.

I had the EXACT same problem about a month ago... and I tried like heck for weeks to figure it out. I uninstalled IE and reinstalled it. I tried every version - old and new - of IE to no avail.

I went to Microsoft and downloaded ALL of their patches.... and I haven't had a problem since.

Yay!!! I think it's fixed now. I didn't realize you had the option to repair internet explorer. I did that and it found some problems. After doing that I still had the same problem.

I went to microsoft and downloaded all the patches. I thought I had already done that but I think it was only security patches I had updated. Anyhow, it seems like the problem is fixed now.

Thanks for all the help. Now I can go back to wasting my days reading sports pages.;)

Archived