Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How come Wilbon...

The Slammer

...gets an all-expenses-paid LA vacation for what seems like two months now to cover the Lakers for a Washington newspaper? I don't know about you guys, but I really don't care too much about the Lakers, and when I open up the sports section, seeing the 50th editorial about Kobe and Shaq in a row doesn't exactly make my eyes light up.

Could we maybe get some local coverage, Mr. Wilbon? Is that too much to ask? I guess you'd rather talk about the Lakers and the Cubs, though. Enjoy your fat checks from the WP and ESPN.

Wilbon has always been on the NBA beat as long as I can remember, even long before he got his ESPN gigs. He was one of the better NBA columnists out there. The sad reality is at this time of year nothing is going on in the Washington sports scene. And it's been that way for decades now. I mean what else is he gonna cover? No Caps, No Wizards, no local baseball team.

What I found interesting though, is that on the day that Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup, both the columns by Wilbon and Kornheiser were about the upcoming Lakers game. I guess the NHL can't be considered a major league anymore if a Stanley Cup finals Game 7 doesn't even merit a column over pre-hyping a Game 2 of an NBA finals.

Archived