Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The man you LOVE to HATE

Mickalino

I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a Skip Hicks fan, and perhaps the only one on this board. That's why it gives me pleasure to announce that Skip Hicks currently has the HIGHEST Yards Per Carry average in the entire NFL, at 6.1 per carry. And he's got more than just a handful of carries to legitimize that accomplishment, 56 carries, totalling 341 yards, uncluding a 51 yarder, while backing up Eddie George. Skip is back, and he's back with a vengeance.

56 carries doesn't mean much to me. That is about a two game load for an Emmitt Smith in his prime. All you need to post that kind of average on that many carries is to get in for garbage time and make a couple of long runs or as in Hicks' case he got in for the last couple of games against teams that had poor defenses and were finishing out the season without hope of a playoff berth.

I remember watching Hicks some in relief of George in the Steeler game and he got nothing going on the ground. Bell and the Steelers were all over him.

As I said he had one 142 yard game a couple of weeks ago and that accounts for a great chunk of his productivity. A lot of guys have a stellar game or two. Reference Rob Johnson from our other post smile.gif............it is the ability to consistently deliver the 100 yard game that sets the pro bowler apart from the pretender.

I remember one season that Kelvin Bryant had a really outrageous average (5.5??) which was also the result of taking a couple of draw plays 60-70 yards downfield in meaningless ballgames.

I will believe Hicks is 'back' when he gets a starting gig and is the guy a team counts on to win games against quality opponents when a playoff berth is on the line.

[edited.gif by bulldog on January 03, 2002.]

well, when you are where Hicks was last season, ie not able to get a single yard in two carries in a critical game at the goal line, and drops every ball thrown to him, then I guess you are correct that he has indeed risen from the depths biggrin.gif

Hicks 'productivity' in 1999 and 2000 was so slight as to barely register on the year end conference totals in rushing or receiving yardage..............

Hicks to me is a lot like Tony Banks. Hicks had a job all but won here in 1998 and all he had to do was dedicate himself in the offseason and come in having kept his momentum. Instead he missed the workouts, stayed on the West Coast with his buddies and then sauntered into camp expecting to be treated like a perennial 1,000 yard back at 23.

Banks did the same thing with the Rams. He had a good season in 1997 (??) and seemed to be the qb of the future in St. Louis but then took the rest of the year off, boycotted the qb minicamp and came to training camp out of shape. Vermeil ended up fining him and ultimately cutting him because of his immaturity.

Banks had his 320 yard game against Carolina this year. Hicks had his 142 yard game for the Titans.

Let's see if these guys can post these numbers more than once every 2 or 3 years smile.gif

Archived