Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's Offense

Thinking Skins

I'm sitting here trying to cure my hangover by focusing my energy on something. I was thinking of some of the best offenses over the past few years, particularly St. Louis, Minnesota and Washington under Norv Turner. I'm just comparing this "fun and gun" offense to what we've seen in these other offenses. I think that we have the talent level here to run something similar to what these guys have run in the past, most specifically Norv's offense under Brad Johnson, with a simple change where we throw more passes to our WR's instead of our TE's and RB.

To follow that train of thought:<br /><br />I think an imaginitive offense makes EVERYONE able to participate.<br /><br />ergo, the defense MUST in fact, prepare for many many different looks/plays/players instead of stacking 8 in the box and going man on the recievers and COVERING THEM!.<br /><br />the hallmark of all of the above was creating MIS-matches against the defense (much like the last few years SAM SHADE has been picked on by the opposiotion.<br /><br />furthermore its is my contention that our ability to use OUR strengths on "D" (great cover corners) (good linebacking) to cover our weakness in pass d (shade)made us a vastly better team. <br /><br />Unfortunately, this season past we had NO ability to fool anyone or create mismatches (using alexander or centers) so that we had to just line up and bang heads (which worked well for the most part...except when it mattered!....because of our unidimensioal nature on offense)<br /><br />amen

I think the main thing Spurrier will bring to<br />our offense is unpredictablity. When an offense<br />doesn't have any tendencies, the defense has to<br />play a little more straight forward. When we had<br />Riggins and the Hogs, everyone knew on short yardage what was going to happen. Difference here<br />being execution.

Archived