Extremeskins

Richmond.com: Gibbs on NFL, NASCAR

bubba9497

Gibbs on NFL, NASCAR

http://www.richmond.com/Sports/output.cfm?ID=3022397&vertical=Sports

Robb Crocker

Richmond.com

Saturday May 15, 2004

Washington Redskins Head Coach Joe Gibbs was back at Richmond International Raceway on Saturday to check out his NASCAR team, Joe Gibbs Racing, which includes 2000 Winston Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte and 2002 Winston Cup Series champion Tony Stewart.

Saturday's race was only the third Gibbs has made since returning to the Redskins. He says coming to RIR has always been a fun experience for him.

"It's been fun and hectic. And it's been kind of wild [returning to coaching]," he said. "I'm following the race team closely."

He also stressed that although he is back in the NFL, he will continue to be involved with his NASCAR team. That was one of the considerations he made when he decided to return to the sideline.

"I thought long and hard about the balance [between NASCAR and the NFL]," he explained. "My family will always be involved in racing. It is a family business. I would never do anything to hurt the racing team.

Gibbs added that there is one aspect of racing he particularly likes.

"You can't talk you way or con your way in this sport," he said. "That's the great thing about racing."

As far as his return to the Burgundy and Gold, he said he is being very realistic about the upcoming season and is going into things with his eyes wide open.

"As long as we don't play a game, we'll do great," he quipped. "You can't guess what it is going to be like. We'll have to wait and see. We haven't even put on the pads yet.

"Our owner [Daniel Snyder]; he's done his job. He's given us everything we've asked for."

The quarterback situation in Washington, between Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey, will be one of Gibbs' big concerns during training camp or at least that's what most think.

"It's going to be an intense battle," he admitted. "People say I like quarterback controversies. Well, the alternative is not good.

"Most fans are pulling for the guy on the bench; I'm pulling for the best player. It is good for the team to have depth at quarterback."

And for those who like to pull for a real dark horse – Gibbs said backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck was impressive in the recent mini-camp. He added that he wished there was a controversy at every position

Archived