Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Day One Winners and Losers

Here are my day one winners and losers:

Winners

San Diego - Some may not like it. Really what it comes down to is whether or not you believe that Rivers can be a starting QB in this league. I happen to think so. Plus, they got a few picks from the Giants (one of which turned into Nate Kaeding - a great kicker in the third.)

Detroit - One of the biggest winners of the day in my opinion. Roy Williams will start right away, as will Kevin Jones at RB. Teddy Lehman will get a long look at LB. Great pickup in the second.

New England - As everyone has said "the rich get richer". Wifork and Ben Watson are great, especially Wilfork so low. He is a Ted Washington type of player. Marquise Hill has the potential to be a starting DE in the NFL given time. Depth move for a team with aging starters.

Arizona - Great, great pickups in every round. Obviously Fitzgerald in round one is a no brainer pick. This guy can be great. Dansby in round two is a guy who can step in and potentially start right away. The pick I really love is the Dockett pick at the top of round three. Great value with him. Dockett is a guy who could also start right away. Probably the best draft of the day.

Losers

Giants - Well, it depends really on what Manning does in the future. If he goes on to lead the Giants to the promised land, well, I'll admit that I was wrong. But they gave up a lot to land this guy. We'll see. Snee will help along that depleted O-Line.

Dallas - It's not so much what they did but what they didn't do. They had a crack at two great Running Backs: Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson, but traded out of the first round and picked up Julius Jones instead. Jones is a good RB, but not even close to either Keven Jones or Jackson.

Philadelphia - Hmm. Pick a OT in the first when you got great OTs already. Okay. Move him to guard? That's a plan, but you already had pretty solid OGs. I don't know. I'm sure Reid knows what he is doing. But I don't. Another CB - Ware - in the third? It's a depth move, and I guess they don't totally trust Sheppard. Besides, the Eagles don't have a lot of other holes.

Ware isn't a depth move. The Eagles only have 3 CBs on the roster and one, Hood, was a UDFA last year. Ware will immediately become the nickel back and will challenge for starting time with Sheldon Brown, and many mock drafts had him going late first/eary second.

I would have preferred Jackson, but the Eagles needed to address the OLine at some point. G Jermaine Mayberry's contract is up after the year, and Runyan's is after 2005. Welbourne will be cut or traded. So they only have one starting G at this point, (though they just extended Hicks who played very well last year) and Mayberry's contract is up after next season.

1. Dallas still has to watch their weight. Those pockets can heavy in Jerrah's office, but light against the cap. This was a "projected" cap friendly move.

2. The Eagles didn't have a lot of holes going into 2004 season, but may have them again, come the end of the 2004 season. Reid's getting ready.

3. Coughlin will demand Manning mature faster, because "win now" element is in NY. I am sure that most NY fans would rather fight than switch QB's again, so, they will bite the bullet for now, while Collins heads the offense this year, while the rookie reads his playbook and defenses.

If Coughlin throws THIS Manning to the wolves early, he will NOT respond like his older brother. Never did, but he can recover, because he's more athletic. Interesting relationship to watch in 2005.

4. As many of us advertised, NE was a whore in the first 3 rounds. They're still NOT DONE!

Reminds me Indianapolis when Dungy arrived, grabbing players that eventually made the team and catipulted them deep in the playoffs.

5. DETROIT - IS ONCE AGAIN THE "MOTOR CITY"! Da**!!!

Roy Williams AND KEVIN JONES! jeesh - how the frick that happen??? Add Hutchinson at QB and I told you so! by having Williams and Jones, they can live without KW2.

Dallas - It's not so much what they did but what they didn't do. They had a crack at two great Running Backs: Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson, but traded out of the first round and picked up Julius Jones instead. Jones is a good RB, but not even close to either Keven Jones or Jackson.

Great as defined by whom? You.

Let's see, one of those "great" backs has knee problems that scared off at least three teams looking for RB's. The other (Jones) simply doesn't fit the type of RB that Parcells likes or that is usually sucessful in the NFL. Dallas was never, and I mean never going to pick Kevin Jones. That running outside stuff might work in the Big East, but in the NFL you HAVE to run inside the tackles consistantly, and Kevin Jones hasn't shown that ability.

Originally posted by hobbs

Dallas was never, and I mean never going to pick Kevin Jones. That running outside stuff might work in the Big East, but in the NFL you HAVE to run inside the tackles consistantly, and Kevin Jones hasn't shown that ability.

Wow - it's clear you never watched Virginia Tech play this season.

BD

Originally posted by hobbs

That running outside stuff might work in the Big East, but in the NFL you HAVE to run inside the tackles consistantly, and Kevin Jones hasn't shown that ability.

It's funny how many people assume that because Kevin Jones is fast that he must be weak. Do yourself a favor and watch a tech game.

BTW - They also passed on Greg Jones which IMO is better then that bust they picked up.

Having nothing constructive to add and wanting a ST Avatar you all get my crappy posts tonight anyways :laugh:

Winners

Washington- Nearly Bald fat man with 3 hairs who Likes to drink at Moe's.. yeah thats me..

Patriots_ Dynasty may be to strong a word for the Pats, then again maybe not..

San Diego- Made Giants walk with a hitch.. ouch

Losers

Dallas- Cause I'm a hater

Philadelphia- Yeah hate them too

Giants- See San Diego

:thumbsup:

I thought Matt Ware was a bargain for Philly in the 3rd round, he was predicted to go late 1st/early 2nd in many mocks and he adds depth to a area Philly has lost players at.

I agree on Arizona though, best draft of the day by far.........can't you tell Dennis Green is in charge.

Archived