Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Trading Up a Media Rumor!!!

StevieInferior

Meanwhile, it remains unclear whether Washington is considering a move up to No. 2 to grab Iowa offensive tackle Robert Gallery. Vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato denied an ESPN.com report that the team is eager to pull off such a deal, but Washington did have Gallery in for a visit last week.

One official with another NFL club characterized that scenario as more of a media rumor than a real possibility. And a number of sources familiar with the situation believe the Redskins do not possess the ammunition to move up from No. 5 to No. 2.

One scenario would have the Redskins trading offensive tackle Chris Samuels and the No. 5 pick to Oakland for the No. 2 pick and something else of value, perhaps later selections. However, the Raiders will field draft-day offers that include selections, most likely from the New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. Also, there is some skepticism that Oakland is as eager to drop back as is generally assumed.

At the foundation of the Samuels-Gallery rumors seems to be at least one shaky premise, that Washington is fed up with Samuels for failing to redo his contract.

According to a source close to the situation, Samuels has been willing to restructure the remainder of his deal for 2004 cap room or to consider a long-term extension next year, when he has just one year left on his deal.

The only scenario Samuels will not consider is one in which he negotiates a new extension now, while he still has two lucrative years remaining, as linebacker LaVar Arrington did in December.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20040412-114406-4198r.htm

Samuels is not only a great football player but also a stellar person who fits perfectly with Gibbs. i am glad to read this story. Injury has limited Chris some and the whole line was done in by a poor coaching staff. However Samuels is a keeper, hopefully for many more years. i'll admit , he is one of my favorite players. if he is healthy he is going to dominate under Bugel.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

I've shot pool with Samuels at the Shark Club in Bethesda, he chain smoked and drank all night long. Hardly the behavior of a professional athlete let alone a stellar person.

If this is true, I have less respect for him than before. :(

I have actually seen him smoking and drinking at the Outback in Sterling. I don't mind the occasional drink by atheletes, but smoking makes people short of breath and isn't a good addiction to have as a professional athelete. If you are a pro, you need to treat your body like a temple.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

I've shot pool with Samuels at the Shark Club in Bethesda, he chain smoked and drank all night long. Hardly the behavior of a professional athlete let alone a stellar person.

Guess that's why you were there, right??

:stfu:

it would be boring without all these rumors....we have a few weeks left.. next thing u'll hear is that we will trade gibbs and LA for the first pick.. lol

from the business aspect....Samuels is doing the best thing for him...which i understand. this makes me respect LA a little more for being a team player.

Archived