Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any Wake Forest grads here?

Eagles_Legendz

congrats!!!!

Word of advice, enjoy yourself, have fun, but remember no matter how much you party there the grades count all 4 years so don't get caught in the screw around the first two years and then work your butt of situation. It could come back and haunt you.

I didn't go to Wake, but I grew up in Winston-Salem, so I can tell you a lot about it of course.

I also know a bunch of Wake grads.

What questions do you have? I'll try to answer them based on my knowledge of the area, and I can get my buddy to answer some more questions about the school.

To build on redman said, you might also not want to take the "studious at the beginning of your time, but rarely do much in terms of social activities then get all wrapped up in them towards the end" thing.

That will screw you up even worse.

And if you feel you need to take a break, say after your second year--TAKE THE BREAK. Do not stay and tank classes that you should be aceing.

:doh:

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Doggmatica, yes I do have a few questions.

Growing up in Winston-Salem, did you find there to be a sufficient number of things to do?

Did most of your friends like or dislike their experience?

Do you know how it was for them finding decent jobs after graduating from Wake?

Thanks.

Things to do in Winston: No. Not really. But it also hinges on what you define as entertainment. There will be no shortage of available beer on campus, I am sure, as the Greek culture dominates the Wake experience in some ways. I mean, they have large chunks of the dorms ON CAMPUS. Never seen anything like it.

There is a decent bar called the Fox and the Hound not too far from campus. If you're only 18, you won't enjoy for the same reasons I do... :silly:

There are some cultural things... Symphony, Theatre. Stuff I didn't and do not care about now at the age of 29.

Drive to Charlotte (1 hr) or Greensboro (30 min) for concerts.

A lot of my peers remain in the area, but I lived about 3 miles south of the Winston city limit... grew up in what is technically a more rural area - even though it only took 15 minutes to get to pretty much anywhere in Winston of any consequence. There fore, I didn't so much grow up with many "city" kids.

Bottom line is that many people leave. They go to Charlotte, like me, or Raleigh. The job market in Winston fluctuates... lots of money in the city came from tobacco, RJR specifically. Now that is drying up. Medical field is huge. Two large hospitals. And the School of Medicine.

A good friend of mine (worked with him full-time and freelance for 6 years now) graduated from Wake. He got a computer science degree, got a job at a hospital in Charlotte, and now we work together making sports websites... AFL and other things.

Lot of doctors come out of Wake... I'm sure there's no issue getting work there.

What do you want to do there? DO you know yet?

Originally posted by Doggmatica Johnson

What do you want to do there? DO you know yet?

Thanks for the information.

I'm going to the liberal arts section of the college, undeclared, leaning towards journalism (sports). If I decide that that wouldn't be the path I'd want to go, then business is the next chioce. We'll see, I'm not positive on anything yet.

Archived