Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coulda', shoulda'... Trotter 4 Hand??

3DaysLatr

Why not? Are we going to wait until June to officially move Trotter (June is when you get to split the hit over 2 seasons right)? If not why not trade him to a team that needs a MLB and is cutting a DT. Alot of you may not want Hand, BUTTTTT!!!! If we were to get a guy like Hand in a trade then there is no penalty associated with cutting him down the road if need be, that hit is taken by the team that trades him. Just me thinking, I'm sure most disagree. So if you do what should we get 4 Trotter, because I don't see anyone giving up a 1st-3rd round draft pick on a LB that is a liabilty in pass coverage that also comes up short against the run.

Please understand that I know we can't get Hand now in trade as he's been cut, I mean maybe there are others out there on the chopping block as well.

When you trade him you take the same cap hit as if you had cut him. The acquiring team only assumes the remaining salary - not the cap hit for amortized bonus. Given what Trotter has shown the last two years and his less than full recovery from the knee surgery, I doubt ANYONE is going to assume his $2.7 million salary this year much less the even higher numbers in the following years. He is untradable.

So then he's getting cut in June? He's been told to seek a trade so that pretty much is saying that he's gone prior to the season. I doubt very seriously that we are going to carry a guy for the money he makes that has been more or less asked to get out already.

Originally posted by DCogan1820 saved my baby

Not only that, but don't the Hawks have Randall Godfrey?

For some reason I was really thinking that Godfrey landed in San Diego, but I could be wrong.

I just checked, Mr Godfrey is with the Chargers now.

I think this move is similar to the Bears allowing the Redskins to speak with Phillip Daniels, ostensibly to work out a trade, but in reality a move as a prelude to Daniels' release.

Trotter won't garner more than a middle round pick right now as teams know the Skins are desperate and that will result in a resolution in June with his release.

So isn't seeking a trade foolish? The whole league knows he'll be cut in June, so why would they want to give us anything? I can't see a team that is that desparate for an MLB that they'd be willing to give up a player or a pick when the chances are good that if you really wanted him, you could aggressively pursue him the second he is released.

Let's hope we can at least get a pick out of this, but I don't see it happening.

Originally posted by Skin Deep

So isn't seeking a trade foolish? The whole league knows he'll be cut in June, so why would they want to give us anything? I can't see a team that is that desparate for an MLB that they'd be willing to give up a player or a pick when the chances are good that if you really wanted him, you could aggressively pursue him the second he is released.

Let's hope we can at least get a pick out of this, but I don't see it happening.

I think that BullDog's response covered this, I missed it myself until he laid it out. Essentially, the Skins are trying to due right by Trotter by letting him speak with interested teams now. We sort of got a jump on Daniel's that way and it's a classy move by the organization in my thinking. Plus, who knows maybe some team is willing to give us a little something in next years draft or veteran DT or end that they want to part ways with "after June 1st".

Originally posted by manichispanic

Hypothetically speaking, could we restructure a deal with him to make his trade value go up (i.e 1mil/year.) Him and his agent(s) must know that no one will trade him or sign him for his current #'s

Not unless Trotter and his agent are fools. :laugh: Why should they agree to a lower contract to take less money and to help out the Skins, when the Skins are the team dumping him?

The only way we get something for Trotter is if a team who wants him doesn't want to take a chance that they won't get him on the free agent market. It could happen, but I doubt it. The compensation we get would have to be enough to make us be willing to swallow all the dead money on this year's cap. These are two curves on a graph that I think will never intersect.

Archived